by Wrinkled Cheese on Wednesday July 28th 2010, 20:12
Neither worked. Then I noticed that although I thought winetricks had worked, it didn't. I made winetricks work - issue was with DroidSansFallback.ttf. I had to go to a site online and SHA1 sum the file it actually downloaded and edited winetricks with the new SHA1 sum.
If you run this command from the directory with the winetricks script you can edit the line.
[press the / key]
[press enter key]
you should see the sah1 sums of all the fonts there. I used this site to generate a new SHA1 hash by uploading the file to them.
This caused steam to work perfectly. Although I also tried installing wine 1.2 rc7 and it wasn't until I installed 1.2 rc6 that I tried the winetricks SHA1 updating. I will try again with 1.2 and see if that fixes everything.