by vexorian on Wednesday November 14th 2012, 14:23
As a follow up.
The good news is that this means they can admit their mistakes. The bad news is that all in all I think I was just lucky. I cannot really know for sure what ultimately convinced Blizzard to lift the ban. Throughout the process they gave little details both when I was banned as when I was unbanned. I got an automated email saying this:
We recently closed the Diablo III license on your Battle.net account listed above. However, we’ve found evidence that the closure may have been a mistake on our part so we will re-open the license for play as soon as possible. We humbly regret the error and hope that you will accept our sincere apologies.
(* Proceeds to talk about what is going to happen to my account and how they will refund the second copy I bought *).
I posted this information in hopes that I was not the only one getting unbanned. Too bad to know that many others are still banned.
I'll (try to) detail what I did:
As for my previous posts, I found out about the bug that was causing warden to die in my setup around 2 days before the ban. This was good because I did get to fix this issue (setarch -i 386 command) that Sunday. So when I made the appeal ticket, I detailed information about the issue and that I fixed it October 19-th so if their records show that there was improvement around that date, then that should be evidence for what really happened. I am pasting the relevant part of my ticket:
What IS true is that Warden was crashing for me until Sunday. I have been playing Diablo 3 in LINUX using WINE (And in fact, I have played warcraft III and Starcraft 2 in this manner in the past). It was a gamble to do this as there were many reports of this happened, but Bashiok gave us a reassurance that only cheaters playing in Linux were going to get banned. I must say that I saw this coming last Sunday, when I discovered that the glitches I was suffering were caused by a warden crash caused by a WINE bug. If you have detected that warden was seeing suspicious things until last Sunday, then here is the explanation. You can see the technical info in this bug report (and its comments, including mine that is dated on Sunday): bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30849 . The trick is using a 64 bits architecture when running WINE.
Please verify the tech details in that URL.
As I posted the ticket I also contacted a blizzard person through email about the topic (was desperate for help). But he could not help me at the end. Or maybe he did, but it did not seem like he could do it and he did say "sorry man, I can't help you...".
As mentioned, this ticket was not taken very seriously. I got a reply shortly after the work hours at blizz begin. The usual "An additional review blah blah blah " email.
Since I knew from previous reports what goes on after the email. I made a passive aggressive reply asking not to send any more pre-fabricated messages about the case and that I give up about trying to appeal. Then I purchased the game again (I don't like leaving things unfinished, and I had unfinished businesses!).
That was October 23-rd / 24-th.
Weeks passed and in Friday (November 9-th), I received the message saying that the account closure was a mistake. I didn't mention anything about this because I wanted to wait till I actually get the refund to be sure. Today I got it.
So, that's it. I don't really know why I was banned at first nor why I was unbanned later. I wish I could provide ideas on how to get unbanned for other Linux users. But maybe what helped me was the very detailed information about the glitch, and more importantly, the date. If you played both in Linux and windows and remember the dates, maybe that helps too? Provide all your information regarding Linux distribution and architecture and stuff.
Important update: Please ignore everything regarding this case
by vexorian on Thursday November 15th 2012, 16:02
I received a Blizzard phone call at home. This is very relevant because I live in Bolivia.
The very concerned Blizzard employee wanted to tell me that the mistaken ban I experienced had absolutely nothing to do with Linux nor with the flaw I detected but that it was a mistake with their tools/db that somehow effected me and was detected later.
I myself cannot verify any of this. But what is important to conclude is that my information is not going to help anyone in this thread getting unbanned, unfortunately.