The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. WineHQ is not responsible for what they say.
RE: Freelancer has encountered a problem and needs to close.
by John Smithen on Friday September 26th 2008, 1:22
I had a similar problem, several times in fact! I found this somewhere on the web - Credits to LeadGolem, whose profile and website I failed to get when I copied and pasted this information. Not carrying out steps 5,6 & 7 results in playable, but lagging game - I am assured that the ACM fix will fix that.
Once you have wine installed and direct rendering setup, installing freelancer is fairly simple.
1. Install freelancer by double clicking the setup.exe in the disks root folder. Then follow the installer.
Once installed you'll need to do just a bit of tweaking to get it to run acceptably.
2. Download a copy of msvcrt.dll and place it in your ~.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 folder. Please note that the .wine folder is a hidden folder in your home folder. The period before it designates it a hidden folder.
3. Add Freelancer specific Settings to your wine configuration
3A. Go to Applications/Wine/Wine Configuration
3B. Click Add applicaton
3C. Find your Freelancer.exe file and select it. Typically this is in Program Files/Microsoft Games/Freelancer/EXE.
3D. Click ok.
4. Add msvcrt dll override to Freelancer.
4A Click Freelancer.exe
4B. Click Libraries.
4C. Click the "New override for library:" dropdown.
4D. Select msvcrt from the dropdown.
4E. Click "Add".
4F. Click "OK" at the bottom of the screen.
5. Install a mp3 codec for windows in wine.
6. Rename the installed .acm mp3 codec file "winemp3.acm". If you install the Fraunhofer mp3 codec it will typically go in ~.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Fraunhofer MP3 Codec Pro.
7. Move the newly named winemp3.acm file to your ~.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
8. Tweak a rendering setting to get textures to show up properly.
8A. Go to Applications/Wine/regedit.
8B. Expand the tree for HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D. You may need to create the Direct3D folder. You can do that by clicking the Wine folder, then clicking "Edit" and selecting New/Key. Then name the key Direct3D.
8C. Click on the Direct3D folder.
8D. Click "Edit" then select New/String Value.
8E. Name that new string "DirectDrawRenderer".
8F. Right click on "DirectDrawRenderer and select Modify.
8G. Enter the value data as "opengl" then click "OK".
8H. Then click Registry/Exit.
9. Play the game. The Freelancer installer should have put a Freelancer launcher on your Desktop.