The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. WineHQ is not responsible for what they say.
RE: Compiled Information
by Setsunayaki on Wednesday October 20th 2010, 17:29
I am happy I am heavily into Computer Sciences. It caused me to explore many operating systems (Windows, OS X, Embedded OSs, many Linux builds, Unix builds), anyway..../
Do the following :)
Download all the files from the site including the setup.exe so you have the files locally on your machine to install. Make sure you get an MD5 checksum of the files, since the game is as large as an Operating System.
Information about your OS and video card. While Linux favors Nvidia cards while ATI cards have lower performance on average, Mac OS X favors more ATI cards, unless you are going workstation for Nvidia.
2.2Ghz Processor on 2GB of RAM powering Wine on top of OS X may slow things down...However, I am going to ask you to do the following:
0) Download current drivers for Nvidia Cards. Most people use drivers 195.* or over...At least run with 195.* as that one shows success.
1) Download the entire game itself
2) Rune the installer of the game through a console using the wine (gameinstaller.exe) format.
3) The game should write itself to C:/Program Files/Runes of Magic
4) Use Winetricks and put in directx9 (d3d9c i think), vcrun2005, ie6, wininet.
5) Set a wine window at 1024 x 800 through winecfg.
6) Please run the game to autopatch. Wait until the game is fully patched.
7) Download and dump in dnsapi.dll into the main Runes of Magic Folder.
7b) Go into Wine Regedit and try the following: Go to "Wine regedit" and under HKEY_Current_User/Software/Wine
create a folder named Direct 3D (should appear on the left side of screen and highlight in.
In that folder I have the following settings I added in there ALL AS STRINGS...
(you have 128MB VRAM so your memory listing should be 128.)
8) Launch the game through Launcher.exe and press "Start Game", you can also try Runes of Magic.exe but I run it from the launcher...like most MMORPGs go through a launcher that activates the game's main EXE.
Stop right there ----
If ---> The launcher screen is all white, then quit out of there and apply all the winetricks again...The game should run.
Your video card, the 8600M is capable of OpenGL 2.1. Mine is capable of OpenGL 4.1 and above...There is a wide gap there...between our OSes, drivers and technologies..
I am hoping this works for you, specially the regedit tweaks because opengl becomes important for many games.
Once I am done helping you get your game working, I will write a clearer report and conclude my testing. :) I feel I need to rewrite this report.