RE: Launch problem
by gekmur on Sunday February 27th 2011, 3:20
I had this problem too and I got it fixed. I have a Ati HD 5xxx graphics card. I don't have the time to reinstall, so I can't be sure which of my tweaks did the job. However, the thing that finally got it to launch was to use wineconfig to set audio driver to ALSA and use EMULATION.
If that doesn't bite, here's everything I did:
- I used playonlinux (custom install, no ready scripts), but that shouldn't matter
- Wine version 1.3.14
- Installed from the retail DVD vesion
- Got some error about an audio-file during the install but ignored that and it finished
- Reinstalled dx3d9, gecko and vcrun2005 with winetricks
- Patched the game to 1.02 (didn't go through 1.01)
- Set winecfg to emulate a desktop with 1024x768 (smaller than my real resolution, so I get the game in a window)
- Set winecfg audio to use ALSA
- At this point, I still just got the error
- Set winecfg audio to use EMULATION
-> Now the game started
I haven't actually had time to play the game so I don't know how well it works. I may have to tweak the settings more before actually playing, so I'll post the full settings after that. Hope this helps someone.