Selected Test Results (selected in 'Test Results' table below)
Everything in game, installing, playing, Playing 1920x1080, all settings on High, AAx8, no vsync
Set steam launch option -dx9
Install: d3dx9, msxml3, vcrun2005, vcrun2008, tahoma, corefonts, and i install physx
What does not
What was not tested
Do not be discouraged by the "garbage" ratings. This game runs with no issues for me. If this for some reason does not work for you, The comments have useful info for getting the game running.
I personally get better performance by disabling GLSL support, you must set mouse warp override to force.
With above packages installed, i am able to play, very good performance too, i am impressed, i range 30-65 fps on High settings at 1080p, It does go higher, but only when you look at the sky or when you're in an area that isn't very populated. avg is about 40.
Check your fps in game by opening the game console, and typing r_displayinfo 1
This is all I to run this game, runs very well!
I can't post test results here because Wine admins won't allow patched vesions of Wine or even PlayOnLinux. So other versions of Wine crash because of a memory leak. This doublebuffer patched version fixes the memory leak.
I then installed vcrun2008 and d3dx9_39 using winetricks into a new prefix, and ran the game e.g.:
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32_crysis winetricks vcrun2008 d3dx9_39
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32_crysis ./path/to/patched/wine/wine /path/to/Crysis.exe
The game runs great, I've already completed the first level. I've noticed almost no graphical glitches (the only ones I've seen are really minor: the ocean's color cycling between orange and blue in the first cutscene is the only one I actually remember).
I didn't take the hassle to actually check my FPS rate, but it runs just as smoothly as it does on Windows, except for some lag spikes every now and then.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
Still not fully working
by Sabun on Monday March 4th 2013, 6:18
I've been giving Crysis (Steam version) a go on Ubuntu 12.10 64Bit with various versions of Wine.
When testing 1.5.25, 1.5.23, and 1.5.11 the game will open (albeit you have to wait a minute or two). Main intros, videos are all fine. Main menu works, but the game will crash in the same spot everytime.
Right after you jump out of the plane on the first mission, shortly between mid fall the game will abruptly crash. I tried the patch in the latest test results above, still the same.
The only pros right now are:
1. Loading the level is extremely fast
2. No graphical glitches (for the few moments in the plane)
3. Main menu works fine (no mouse/input patch needed)
AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz
Nvidia GTX 680
Works Well with Ubuntu 12.04
by Doc on Saturday October 6th 2012, 13:25
I just submitted my test results (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, 32-bit PAE with WINE version 1.5.14). So far so good. Here are some observations that I can share, while my test results are being reviewed:
1. Regedit for Mouse: I think this is already incorporated in version 1.5.14. In fact, I had to delete the regedit that I made because it created a negative effect - my mouse cursor stayed in the middle of the screen.
2. Regedit for Offscreen: not sure if it did something positive to the experience, but did not experience anything negative so I did not delete it.
3. Works fine and dandy, no problems so far. Well, I did have problems earlier. To isolate, I started from scratch so that any "variables" will be eliminated from the process. I may have missed some steps in my previous attempts, so I decided to ensure that it will be documented hence my test submission (so that I will not forget, lol...).
I have 8GB RAM total and run Arch Linux x86_64. I'd try to run the 64-bit version and see if this is just an issue with the 32-bit binary, but it won't work, it appears to be unable to "load the game DLL".