The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. WineHQ is not responsible for what they say.
Instructions for running alleg
by Finn Bryant on Monday November 10th 2008, 11:27
1. get the latest wine.
2. use winetricks to install dotnet11 and directx9
3. install alleg (default install settings recommended)
4. test Allegiance.exe (click "free games" to get updates, WILL crash on exit, so alt-tab to kill it)
5. replace Allegiance.exe with the beta ( betaupdate.alleg.net/Allegiance.exe ) and add the artwork ( fazdev.alleg.net/FAZ/R5beta_artworkdevfolder.zip ) to artwork/dev
6. run "wine regedit" in the terminal
7. go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Allegiance\1.0" and select Registory>Export
8. edit the file so that [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Allegiance\1.0] is replaced by [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Allegiance\1.1]
and "CfgFile"="autoupdate.alleg.net/allegiance.cfg" and is replaced by "CfgFile"="fazdev.alleg.net/FAZ/FAZ.cfg" 9. import back into regedit
10. run Allegiance.exe again
11. set resolution to your normal display resolution (feel free to change this one, but I didn't test other modes), windowed mode ON, mipmaps OFF, texture pack ON. If you want full screen, set it in the menus after startup
12. sound seems to be an issue, try setting sound quality to low and sound card acceleration on, this seems to work, but if sounds seem to get really quiet, jiggle the quality back and forth.
Don't minimise, restore or close, when your done, alt-tab out and kill it (i run it from the terminal so I can alt-tab & ctrl-c to kill it)
it will connect to the beta server