The test results you have selected are very old and may not represent the current state of Wine.
Selected Test Results (selected in 'Test Results' table below)
Installing with winetricks. Using the browser with process separation disabled. Some rendering is correct. Flash plugin, help, about screen, compatibility view, and at least very basic usage of internet options and developer tools work. No issues with tabs, view source, or opening a new window. Fullscreen works, but returning to non-fullscreen view will leave some visual artifacts.
What does not
The browser produces crash dialogs without actually crashing sometimes. Right-clicking on a webpage usually hangs the browser (though I saw it work once). Favorites don't really work. Manually checking a website with the smartscreen filter never seems to complete. Toolbars have some display issues. History doesn't seem to be saved. InPrivate browsing and adding a new search provider don't work. The browser gets quite laggy on some pages. Some web pages and images are displayed incorrectly.
What was not tested
Printing, plugins other than Flash, InPrivate filtering, running the browser without answering no to or disabling all optional settings during installation and first run, web slices, suggested sites, and there are probably other things I overlooked.
Internet options and developer tools were only briefly tested.
To make the browser usable, you need to add a new value to the registry with regedit. Navigate to:
Add a new DWORD value there named TabProcGrowth with the value 0 (which should be the default).
Adding a native override for wininet may prevent a few cases of lag.
I disabled everything that can be disabled from the first-run dialog - I don't know whether this is really necessary to run the browser or not.
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. WineHQ is not responsible for what they say.
IE 8 install
by Tom on Friday November 6th 2009, 2:32
I got IE 8 to install and run but as others have pointed out here there are still allot of errors. I installed flash to and it worked fine, and renamed the jscript.dll in /system32 and set it as native and IE 8 installed a native dll.. The native dll seems to work better then the builtin dll at this time.
by Cillian de Róiste on Tuesday May 5th 2009, 7:25
I am using wine-1.1.20 (on Mandriva 2009.0) and went through the following steps:
Created a fresh ~/.wine
Ran winetricks and set the version to win2k and installed IE6.
Ran winetricks and set the version to winxp.
$ wine IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe
$ wine IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe