After you have installed the game. Follow these directions.
Note: Wine 1.1.3 Movies will work without the file from step one in this howto, but they will be in black and white. If you want color movies then you will need to follow step one. If you are using wine 1.1.2 or below you will need the movie file or Might and Magic will crash.
2. (Optional Window Mode) Now goto configure wine, under the wine menu. Click add application and
browse to mm8.exe and mm8setup.exe under C:\program files\3D0\Might and
Magic VIII\ You will need to add a virtual desktop to each .exe under wine configuration. Goto the Graphics tab and add emulate a virtual desktop and add the resolution 640 by 480. Click Apply when you're done.
3. (Optional NoCD) If you want to play without the cd you will need to obtain a nocd .exe
4. Play the game!
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. WineHQ is not responsible for what they say.
by Lubomir Bozik on Sunday December 20th 2009, 10:08
After so hard trying and wasting time I couldn't manage to get it work. I have crossover 8.1.3 (consist the newst version of Wine?) and I followed this schedule:
- create a new XP bottle
- choose install unsupported software
- install folder: Disk 1 M&M8
- the M&M installer appears, I ignore the warn message about Directx and finish the installation
- I try to start the game - FAILS with an error "The application needs to finish. Apology for the inconvenience..."