To get the launcher working if it doesn't load for you:
1) Use winetricks to install IE7 (NOT 8).
2) After installing IE7, install and launch the game.
3) On the launcher, there will be a small box to enter your serial number. Paste it into the box and hit enter. After a few seconds, a lot of error popups will appear. Wait a little longer and the serial number input will change into a link to start the game. Kill the popups with "wineserver -k" and load the launcher again to start the game.
4) This step is completely optional, but if you want to do it anyways you may. Use winetricks to install "msxml3", and then the launchers will have graphics and animations. You will get ActiveX and "script error" popups from IE; click "yes" for the ActiveX ones and "no" for the script ones. Click the button on the bottom-right and enter your serial number.
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. WineHQ is not responsible for what they say.
Game Launcher with Wine 1.1.39
by Christian Lichtsinn on Saturday February 20th 2010, 5:41
How do you enter the game, now that you can "see" somehow the game launcher, but cannot press the button to enter the game? Wine 1.1.39 introduced MSHTML support, but unfortunately, the button for entering the game is missing and the "hyperlink" doesn't show up.
by Jost Schönleben on Wednesday October 7th 2009, 8:41
Ingame and in the menue, i had many textures missing. They were just black. I have an old ati x850 graphics card.
I could fix this by a change in regedit. Description follows:
- Go to the console
- enter the following command: wine regedit
- The registry editor will open
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
- Go to Software
- Go to Wine
- Go to Direct3D or if it does not exist, create it: mark "Wine", then click it right, create a new key named Direct3D
- Mark the new Folder(Key) Direct 3D, add a new "String Value" (Zeichenfolge for german users) named UseGLSL
- DoubleClick UseGLSL after creation and enter the following at the content-field: disabled
Help to get things running
by Adam Hepton on Monday July 20th 2009, 9:51
* Download setup from Telltale Games site.
* Run installer as normal, ensure "check DirectX" option is unchecked.
* Run the main exe.
* Enter serial number from your account on Telltale Games site to link your account to the game.
NB. At this point, after you have typed in your serial number into the popup, the process keeps on going and doing nothing else. You will, once activation has completed, need to kill the process.
* Ensure you have D3DX9_41.dll installed into .wine/drive_c/windows/system32.
Recommended for first run: Run through a virtual desktop which matches your native resolution, otherwise your desktop will be set to the default resolution of the game (800x600, I think?)
* Run the main exe.
* Click on "Launch Game".
* Game will now launch, and be fully playable.
* If you change the resolution to the native resolution of your desktop and exit, this resolution will be written to your preferences file, and you are able to now launch the game without having to have a virtual desktop set up.
I run this at full detail on 1440x900 and it runs superbly.