The test results you have selected are very old and may not represent the current state of Wine.
Selected Test Results (selected in 'Test Results' table below)
Everything single player.
Followed the reccomended installation with winetricks and regedit
Played for about 60 hours.
What does not
Some sound issues:
* On random occasions sound becomes intermittent then ceases for short periods of time (ranges from frequent to rare, unknown reason).
* While the sound problems appear, the game slows down considerably.
* Rare crashes (4 in total of ~60 hrs) that may be attributed to the game (v1.3 some crashes still reported on windows)
What was not tested
Unable to comment on performance due to widely different OS setups.
It seems close to the windows performance, which will gradually degrade with playtime (restart to fix).
Admin note: rating changed to conform to the rating definitions.
Some users are reporting you may have to set some more Registry Keys in order to experience better results (e.g. borders drawn incorrectly). You may try these:
DirectDrawRenderer to "opengl"
OffscreenRenderingMode to "backbuffer"
OffscreenRenderingMode to "pbuffer"
OffscreenRenderingMode to "fbo"
PixelShaderMode to "enabled"
VideoMemorySize to the size of your video memory (e.g. "512")
MaxShadowSize to "0"
The game needs hardware supporting Pixel Shader 2 to run!
HOWTO play Hearts of Iron III (+ AddOns)
1. Install the game inclusive the optional AddOns. If the installation process also wants to install DirectX, Visual C++ and / or .NET, cancel all these installations!
2. Install the dependencies of the game with winetricks: winetricks vcrun2005 directx9 dotnet20
NOTE: If you also have the "For the Motherland" AddOn installed, you need to do an additional "winetricks vcrun2010" to get the latest dependencies, too.
3. Open regedit (for e. g. type it in a terminal) and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D/ and make a new entry which is called:
as the value enter your amount of video memory (MB), for e. g. 256 or 512.
as Next, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/DirectSound/ and make again a new entry:
and set as the value: 0.
4. Open winecfg an go to the libraries tab an delete out the "quartz.dll".
That's it, you're ready to play. You can additionaly patch the game.