This version is complete with Kingdoms expansion pack.
Old test results
The test results you have selected are very old and may not represent the current state of Wine.
Selected Test Results (selected in 'Test Results' table below)
Installation of Primary Game
Loading the game (with No-CD patch 1.3 and d3dx9)
What does not
What was not tested
Kingdoms Expansion Pack
I did the install through PlayOnLinux UI, but I believe the results would be the same directly through Wine. Detailed install steps:
1) Within PlayOnLinux UI, I selected to do manual install for since there is not a script for it. I installed it into its own prefix (i.e. namespace).
2) Was prompted that Gecko is not installed, so followed instructions here to manually copy it in - http://wiki.winehq.org/Gecko
3) During install, there is a checkbox on the Additional setup options page to "Install or update DirectX". I unselected that based on this FAQ: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-fbaa851e07d7484640cc10b6d0c48abc741260b2
4) I did not install the Kingdoms games because I had a problem swapping CDs.
5) After install, I used winetricks to install "d3dx9" dlls per instructions on the main "Retail CD 1.x" page - http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=6517.
6) Replaced medieval2.exe with a no-cd version of 1.3. This worked fine even the "HOW TO" section on the above-mentioned page says you should use 1.0.
I have played about 20 hours of a campaign and one Historical Battle sequence without any problems.
Game is proven to be rated at gold on Steam edition, please submit new test results if you have M2:TW Gold.
Thanks - Maq
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. WineHQ is not responsible for what they say.
Bumblebee: Nvidia vs Intel
by Jason Champion on Thursday August 15th 2013, 15:38
On an Ubuntu 13.04 system with Wine 1.6 and a Bumblebee-enabled system, this game works flawlessly when using the Nvidia hardware (via optirun)
It does not work using Intel integrated graphics - there is a diagonal line across the screen with the image reflected across it, and though the game does actually load, the menus and screens are illegible/unusable.
by Dave on Friday December 14th 2012, 17:28
Install runs until the point at which the second disk needs to be inserted and an error occurs. tried to install without the expansions, no success. please help, one of my favorite games, and I dont want to have to go back to windows.
by James Hobson on Saturday March 24th 2012, 21:34
so i was using wine version 1.5 and whenever i try to launch it through steam, it says that its preparing to launch the game, then that goes away like its about to launch, but nothing happens, any ideas? i also tried reverting to the closest thing i have to 1.4-rc1 which is 1.4-rc2 and that has the same problem