Major changes of v1.6 compared to v1.5 are new rifles and an included tactical shield. CS 1.6 is only officially available and playable through the Steam Client.
Old test results
The test results you have selected are very old and may not represent the current state of Wine.
Selected Test Results (selected in 'Test Results' table below)
- The Steam Client got installed without problems. (Preparations were met according to common advice. Tahoma font installed etc. Unfortunately, I can't recall everything I've changed so far.)
- Counterstrike could be installed without problems.
- The game can be started.
- Options can be set normally. Tested resolution: up to 1440 x 900 Widescreen, 32Bit.
- Servers can be joined. The game can be played without lag or stuttering (apart from the persistent standard latency).
- Console and similar functions work as usual. Custom bindings and aliases work fine.
- The mouse does not clip or anything. Not even a mouse pointer shows up.
- The game can be quitted without remainder.
What does not The sound either does not appear (OSS) or plays with severe delay (ALSA), in the main menu as well as in the game, including weapon sounds, steps and everything game relevant. About half a second late.
Minimizing the game is not recommended, neither is switching desktops or windows, since the game can technically be maximized again and sounds play, but the video output is gone and controls don't work, so you only hear yourself dying when being shot standing around helplessly.
What was not tested
- Steam (Chat) functions in-game
- Continued gaming for long periods of time
- Detailed settings like deactivating OpenGL or high resolutions / activating minmodels
- Voice communication
- Upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic"
- Changes to WineCfg, other versions
- The delayed sound makes it hard to play it smoothly, sound is important to the game. For those who play CS without sound anyway, this doesn't matter.
- Since I couldn't maximize it again after minimizing and therefore have to quit the game and restart it after I've finished changing TeamSpeak settings or whatever I do usually, I think it's a bit much to rate it "Silver".
Once either of both problems can be resolved, I'd increase the rating to "Silver". If both can be worked around, the game deserves a "Gold" rating. Since I've not come across solutions, "Bronze" is just realistic.
Again: It works, but not flawlessly at all.
I feel like I should mention my settings, since it occurs to me that many people have trouble getting their game to start or work. Then again, I don't know what to focus on. I'm no expert, so please feel free to ask me anything if you need specific information.
Solving the problem with audio delay
by Aleksey on Saturday February 5th 2011, 14:07
it is enough just to put in the settings "winecfg > Audio > ALSA (emulation driver). And in the game settings to register the console _snd_mixahead "0.012". If there is a wheezing sound, increase the value _snd_mihahead.