sound still is trouble
by Harry Bullen on Thursday June 29th 2006, 18:16
Okay first I had to put eax.dll in WINDOWS/. not WINDOWS/System32/. that was implied. Also I could not find eax.dll on any windows computer I own (all win XP) so I found it online. Finally the sound stuttered during the opening movie very much like it dose for diablo II movies. Anyways I was using wine 0.9.15 on a Gentoo amd64.
by Tony Upton on Sunday October 16th 2005, 9:16
After trying for some time to figure out how to get the PC version of this game to run with Wine, I've figured out how to get it at least partially working (with Wine 20050930 on Fedora Core 3, using a "no-Windows" setup). Here's what I had to do:
1. Install Final Fantasy 8 from the installation CD, using the following commands:
mount /media/cdrecorder (if your CD-ROM has a different mount point, use that instead)
wine SETUP.EXE --winver win98
2. Copy the following files from a Windows installation (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32) to the /windows/system32 folder in your "fake Windows" installation (in my case, /home/tony/.wine/drive_c/):
3. Unmount and remove the installation CD and insert game CD #1.
4. Run the "FF8Config" program (wine FF8Config.exe). I didn't have to change any settings there to make the game work.
5. Start the game with the following command:
WINEDLLOVERRIDES="dmusic=n,dmsynth=n" wine FF8.exe
At this point, there are still several problems I'm trying to work on:
-Some graphical glitches, mostly during battles.
-Video is slow and choppy.
-Sound is choppy (when present), most of the time there's no sound at all.
If I have any further success with this game, I'll post my results here.