This is the top product from the cakewalk music series:
SONAR X1 Producer has everything needed to deliver the polished, “radio-ready” recordings that
are expected in today’s music industry – all in one box. Included are all of SONAR’s cutting edge
music creation tools plus an unparalleled collection of world-class instruments and effects. From the
innovative Skylight interface to the legendary, “big-studio” sound of the ProChannel console strip, SONAR X1
Producer is the ideal choice for anyone serious about music production.
Theres also a 30 day free trial. "New Skylight Interface" for those who want to test it before buy it.
Old test results
The test results for this version are very old, and as such they may not represent the current state of Wine. Please consider submitting a new test report.
Selected Test Results (selected in 'Test Results' table below)
Installation, Startup, VST, Plugins. All music relevant features working fine. There are only some special things that does not.
What does not
Like Dan said, it first of all seems to not detect my audiohardware, but read the additional comments for why it doesnt.
- The cakewalk publisher
- The cakewalk audio burner
What was not tested
I guess i tested everything
CPU: AMD Phenom x4 3,4Ghz
GPU: ATI 6990
VGA Driver: Latest Catalyst 12.6 (beta)
1. operating on a clean !!!32bit!!! WINEPRFIX (dont know if thats nec. but im using a new PREFIX for every app i install...)
2. env WINEPREFIX=~/yourfoolwinepath/ winetricks -q mfc42 gdiplus
3. env WINEPREFIX=~/yourfoolwinepath/ wine yourX1setup.exe
The installation should be doing fine if you did step 2 and don't select the special vst from the hitboxlist.
First of all X1 will check you plugins and figure out what kind of dll you have installed. For me this runs fine.
After that X1 will test your audiohardware which will fail like i described under the "What does not work" section. This isnt a fault from wine meither from X1, like some users may think about. For get X1 fully support your audiocard you need to set it up correctly.
I uses the standard intel audio device and had to set it up like this:
1. Click Edit > Preferences
2. Under the Audio section on the left, click on Playback and Recording
3. From the 'Driver Mode' dropdown select MME-32 bit and then click Apply
4. If prompted with the message "Wave Profiler - We must now perform a series of tests", click Yes. When the test is complete click Close in the Wave Profiler window.
5. Under the Audio section on the left, click on on Devices
6. Make sure your Intel card is selected under both inputs and outputs. Deselect any other drivers that may be in the list. If you make any changes, click Apply.
7. Under the Audio section on the left, click on Driver Settings
8. Make sure one of your Intel drivers is selected as 'Playback Timing Master'. It is best to select the output that you have speakers or headphones connected to.
9. Click Apply and then OK
10. Finally, all audio playback will occur from the Intel device. Make sure you have your speakers or headphones connected to its outputs
Generally: Intelaudio cards are generally provided with your computer. They are designed for general media playback and, though they will work with Cakewalk software, you would get better performance using a device designed specifically for audio recording.
If you DONT use the intel integrated audio this isnt a problem as well. Just visit this site: http://www.cakewalk.com/support/hwsetup.aspx
choose your soundcard and follow the instruction step by step.
There will be some test for setup your audio by X1. This should work fine and normally you should have full audio support.
Save that and restart X1.
Maybe you need to range you masteroutput to you new card configuration.
The Cakewalk Publisher and the Cakewalk Audio Burner wont work and will crash if you open it. For me its not a problem because both arent needed to make music and im using the k3b standard for burn rom´s
Generally this is an awesome app. In my opinion only steinbergs cubase reach its contents. But steinbergs software comes from another planet :-)
Have fun making music ^^