- UTF8 characters in playlist (I may have needed to compile with support for UTF8 though)
- resizing the Media Library window or scrolling up/down in the Preferences Window will corrupt the text layout
What was not tested
- video playback
- modern skins
- Forcing downsampling amplifies the crackling effect. Select in Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder in Decoder tab the quality. You can select "Half" to drop it from 44.1 to 22 and you will notice the crackling sound more clearly.
- audio quality is worst with soft piano music and direct sound
eg La Valse d'Amelie - Yann Tiersen
- 1.7.16 has the same issues
installing winamp 5.5 - 5.56 you can try a 'sh winetricks comctl32 wininet ie6
allfonts divx' in the terminal for a better winamp experience in WINE
(see below for instructions)
ie6 & wininet for the media library to show up and for the 'send to menu' to work, allfonts for a good display of the bento skin and divx to watch online shoutcast movie stations and local movies.
are some annoying window issues with the modern and bento skin. Like
submenus disappearing behind the main window, or even a disappearing
window with a repositioning.
prevent this you can enable the virtual desktop in winecfg (you can set
“1280x945” for a full-screen experience on a 17inch monitor) otherwise
use “pkill winamp*” to get out of trouble.
you use the modern skin you might need to enlarge the main window for
the media library to show up, if you want to use the Bento skin, make sure you only enable it 'after' you filled the library in classic or modern skin style
your new to WINE this might sound a bit daunting, but really an installation is mostly a matter of copy/paste in the terminal, so go ahead.
~/ && wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks &&
chmod +x winetricks
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-winamp sh winetricks comctl32 wininet ie6 allfonts
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-winamp wine winecfg
enable a virtual desktop, go to graphics, check emulate)
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. WineHQ is not responsible for what they say.
Problems with Winamp 5.65 in Wine 1.7.1
by Daniel on Saturday September 14th 2013, 16:50
Today I installed Winamp in Wine, and I'm having a number of issues. I'm using the Classic skin. Roughly in order of severity:
- If I try to open two instances of Winamp, the first instance crashes. This is the pop-up error message:
The program winamp.exe has encountered a serious
problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency
in Wine. You may want to check the Application Database for
tips about running the application."
- Under Preferences, for many menu items, the text at the end of a line gets cut off.
- Also under Preferences, the first few items are shifted down a few lines, overlapping with the next few items. I can only get to these items by clicking on a lower item, and then using the arrow keys to scroll up.
- When I drag and drop a single audio file into a playlist, two copies of the file are added to the playlist.
- When I drag and drop multiple audio files into a playlist, the files are again duplicated, but NOT one after the other. So far as I can tell, it adds four files at a time to the playlist, then duplicates them, and then moves on to the remaining files.
- When I try to use Alt+Tab to change windows between Winamp and, say, Firefox (to type up this post!), all that happens is that Winamp very briefly shifts its focus from the Equalizer window to the top window (and then back to the Equalizer window).
- If I am in another window (say, Firefox, typing up this post), and I type Alt+Tab to switch to Winamp, the top two windows will appear, but the Playlist window remains hidden underneath Firefox.
- If I hover over and quickly press the "LIST OPTS" button on the bottom right, the pop-up menu will show up, but will then disappear when the Tooltip (which says "Manage Playlist") pops up. If I wait until the Tooltip shows up and then click the button, the menu shows up fine.