installing winamp 5.5 - 5.56 you can try a 'sh winetricks comctl32 wininet ie6
allfonts divx' in the terminal for a better winamp experience in WINE
(see below for instructions)
ie6 & wininet for the media library to show up and for the 'send to menu' to work, allfonts for a good display of the bento skin and divx to watch online shoutcast movie stations and local movies.
are some annoying window issues with the modern and bento skin. Like
submenus disappearing behind the main window, or even a disappearing
window with a repositioning.
prevent this you can enable the virtual desktop in winecfg (you can set
“1280x945” for a full-screen experience on a 17inch monitor) otherwise
use “pkill winamp*” to get out of trouble.
you use the modern skin you might need to enlarge the main window for
the media library to show up, if you want to use the Bento skin, make sure you only enable it 'after' you filled the library in classic or modern skin style
your new to WINE this might sound a bit daunting, but really an installation is mostly a matter of copy/paste in the terminal, so go ahead.
~/ && wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks &&
chmod +x winetricks
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-winamp sh winetricks comctl32 wininet ie6 allfonts
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-winamp wine winecfg
enable a virtual desktop, go to graphics, check emulate)
Winamp is most certainly NOT a gold-rated program in wine. The fact that the maintainer who submitted that review didn't even mention the library (which is where the majority of the features of Winamp are) is ridiculous. By misrating the program, fixing the problems of Winamp has a lower priority to wine's staff than it otherwise should.
Winamp 5.53 issues
by giaur on Sunday August 12th 2012, 15:36
Winamp 5.53, wine 1.5.10. What don't work for me:
- Modern skin: playlist is diaplsyed incorrectly (black background), remaining/elapsed time in main winamp window is not displayed (there is always 0:00, no time display), it's not possible to exit program without kill it (winamp.exe process remains running after choose exit from Winamp menu) - this not hapeens when using classic skin
- drag&drop track to playlist: every track is added twice (modern/classic skin both)
- bentoo skin: the same as modern skin
- media library don't even showing up, it does not work
- extended jump to file does not work - causes crash or it does nothing
- "Always on top" don't work at all: equalizer window is always on top and all other windows don't, "Always on top" option in winamp menu does nothing
- wma playback don't work (even if wma decoder libraries are installed)
- midi playback is buggy - sometimes works, sometimes don't
- visualisations: partially works, they changes screen resolution and then causes X to freeze
You may have to read thru all 4 to get it working properly since I have not condensed things, but you will get a fully functional winamp. Only thing I can add is that I've found which skin [classic] you use can really effect things as well. I use HORIZON which works well.