If playing with an ATI graphics card, there will be some settings that won't work.
Under certain circumstances, system-freezes with no apparent reason can happen.
2013-05-04 Admin note: the information below was extracted from a user comment posted in 2008 and may not be applicable to current Wine. It is being left here for the benefit of anyone who might wish to test and/or update it.
1. Install Wine (1.1.6. - clean install)
2. Install .NET2.0 (via winetricks)
3. Install VisualC++2005 (via winetricks)
4. Install VisualC++2005SP1 (via winetricks)
5. Modify your "l2.ini" file (if is crypted, use workaround end of this bug bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15495) 6. Change "UseHardwareTL=True" to "UseHardwareTL=False"
7. For better stability config Wine
- Applications - Windows Version - sett to "WinXP" (for l2.exe)
- Graphics - "Allow DX apps..." - check
- Graphics - "Allow the window manager to decorate ..." - uncheck
- Graphics - "Allow the window manager to control ..." - uncheck