The test results for this version are very old, and as such they may not represent the current state of Wine. Please consider submitting a new test report.
Selected Test Results (selected in 'Test Results' table below)
everything single player related
What does not
What was not tested
multiplayer (are servers for mw4 vengeance still online?)
- create an empty wine prefix
- use winetricks to install a few things: "winetricks vcrun2005 directx9 directplay quartz"
- install MW4 Vengeance
- patch it with the official patch (it's an self-extracting zip archive, after unpacking go into the folder, you unpacked it to and run the executable from there)
- get a nocd crack from somewhere
- create a file "options.ini" inside the game folder containing
- if you need fullscreen, unpack wine-1.3.2.tar.bz2, go into that directory and run "pach -p1 -i /path/to/wine-1.3.2_mw4.patch", the file wine-1.3.2_mw4.patch containing
diff -urN wine-1.3.2/dlls/ddraw/ddraw.c wine-1.3.2_mw4/dlls/ddraw/ddraw.c
--- wine-1.3.2/dlls/ddraw/ddraw.c 2010-09-03 19:39:05.000000000 +0200
+++ wine-1.3.2_mw4/dlls/ddraw/ddraw.c 2010-09-07 17:45:05.851730011 +0200
@@ -4502,7 +4502,9 @@
FIXME("Only one Direct3D device per DirectDraw object supported.\n");
- return DDERR_INVALIDPARAMS;
+ *device = (IDirect3DDevice7 *)object;
+ return D3D_OK;
+// return DDERR_INVALIDPARAMS;
object = HeapAlloc(GetProcessHeap(), HEAP_ZERO_MEMORY, sizeof(*object));
- now "./configure && make" to build patched wine.
- get native windows amstream.dll from somewhere, place it in the game folder
- run the game "WINEDLLOVERRIDES="amstream=n" /path/to/wine-1.3.2/wine MW4.exe -noautoconfig /gosnodialogs"
MW4 working (most of it)
by Georg Hennig on Wednesday February 27th 2008, 4:10
How to proceed to get the game working:
- Install it (should work fine; choose complete installation)
- Patch it, if you want to (for later patches, e.g. 3.0 you'll need to set your windows version to win98, because the Cdac14ba.dll creates an executable CDAC14BA.EXE inside windows/system32/drivers directory, which hangs, and you had to kill it several times, when you're inside game menu. For win98 it tries to load something like CDAC14BA.vxd which silently fails)
- Get a NoCD-crack from somewhere
- Sometimes, you'll have to have CD 2 inserted in your drive (or image mounted). The location of the CD must be set as CDRom-drive in winecfg, and in system.reg CDPath has to point to this location, e.g.
[Software\\Microsoft\\Microsoft Games\\MechWarrior Vengeance]
- Create a file "options.ini" inside your game directory, containing this (modify it for your needs, these are high detail settings. screenwidth/screenheight settings might be interesting):
is optional, but as fullscreen doesn't work, this seems to prevent it from trying to go to fullscreen mode.
Without it I get an error dialog saying that my hardware doesn't fit to MW4 :-)
optional. suppresses error dialogs, where we would have to click "continue".
With enabled videos, game doesn't even start. I tried to recompress the videos, without success. Also native amstream.dll doesn't work (with native amstream.dll game complains about getfiltergraph, before crashing, but that seems to be a non-critical error)