How to get Civilization 3 to run
by Jonas Aaberg on Saturday October 6th 2007, 3:24
* Download wine-0.9.46 source.
* Apply the patch from: bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3498 (I suggest that you remove the line FIXME(":stub\n"); at line 1806 in dlls/gdi32/freetype.c as well. Less prints.)
* Compile wine and install.
* Copy all 3 Civlization Complete CDs to your harddrive.
* Copy dsetup.dll from the directx/ directory to the same directory as setup.exe is located.
* Run winecfg and tell wine to load native windows dsetup.dll for setup.exe
* Run setup.exe
* It will still complain about missing dsetup.dll, but installation continues anyway.
* Install the game.
* Meanwhile, find a no-CD patch for Civilization Complete (Conquest v1.22)
* When asked for the "CD 1" give the path where you install from. The installation will just plainly quit afterward, but it is complete.
* Install the no-CD patch.
* Run regedit and set DirectDraw renderer to GDI:
(Remember, this is a global setting, you might have to reset it to opengl for other games.)
* Run Civ3Conquest.exe with the custom build wine.
The menus are quite slow, but the game runs ok. Not as fast as in windows, but completely playable.