The test results you have selected are very old and may not represent the current state of Wine.
Selected Test Results (selected in 'Test Results' table below)
Everything in game
What does not
Nothing so far
What was not tested
Game play beyond the first dungeon level
After about a year of attempting to get this working i finally got my hands on the retail installer and it worked flawlessly.
This is using the installer from the original retail CD, NOT the one available from Wild Tangents web site. This version also doesn't use their WT Launcher, but instead starts the game directly.
I am only rating this silver due to the fact you need the original retail installer which is no longer widely available, otherwise it would be rated platinum. The install worked flawlessly, unlike the new version that seems to have an embedded web browser, and the game starts and runs with no issue what so ever.
Again for anyone who has been trying to get Fate to run, this is ONLY with the retail CD install. The free download installer will not work. i'm not sure what type of installer the sequel "Undiscovered Realms" uses on the retail disk, so ymmv on that one.
I got this working
by Shawn on Tuesday November 9th 2010, 3:29
Hi, a little late but I got this to work though PlayonLinux, and by pulling out my hair.
Get PlayonLinux, and when it is updated and set up, open it and click install, then Internet, and install Internet explorer6.
After Internet explorer 6 is done installing click install, look to the bottom where it says install an unsupported package or a .pol, click it, then click manual install, click forward, select edit an existing application, choose Internet explorer 6, click forward, and then browse to installer file for Fate and select it.
This install works on Ubuntu 10.04 lts, with wine 1.3.6 and PlayonLinux 3.8.6. You need the installer from their website and a "patched"(cracked) fate.exe file that i cant tell you where to get it but just search it out. One issue so far is that in your inventory you can't see the items, they are blurred but if you mouse over them it tells you what they are. I am sure this is a setting, or dll or something easy fixable, I just haven't found it, it seems all else works though and you can see the items on you.