Close Combat III: The Russian Front
The third instalment in an award-winning series, Close Combat III: The
Russian Front, sees the action move from the West to the East, as it
covers the doomed German assault on Russia during the Second World War.
| Link || Patch v3.0b |
For more details and user comments, view the versions of this application
|Version||Description||Latest Rating||Latest Wine version tested||Test results||Comments|
|3.0b||The last official patch for this game released in March 1999. It fixes some bugs and introduces several gameplay changes. Many of the bugfixes are related to the multiplayer which doesn't work in Wine, but others improve the AI, e.g. pathfinding, tactical decisions, unit behavior and more.||Silver||1.3.11||3||0|
|GOG 3.0b||The Close Combat series has arrived, DRM-free on GOG.com. The Russian Front is a legendary top-down RTS classic chronicling the gruesome battles of WWII are finally back, exclusively on GOG.com. Known for their snappy AI, realistic sound design and well-researched scenarios, Close Combat games let you side with either the Germans or the Allies as you pull off smart tactical maneuvers and desperate acts of heroism.||Silver||3.21-staging||3||0|
- Install the game into a 32bit Wine prefix.
- Apply the latest patch 3.0b (optional) unless you are using the GOG release which is already patched.
- Open winecfg and create new configuration for CC3.exe.
- Go to the "Screen" tab in winecfg and check "Emulate virtual desktop". Leave the default values to 800x600, otherwise the game will crash.
If using the GOG release:
- NOTE: You can change the screen resolution later in the game's Options menu.
- Set Windows version to Windows XP
Now type into your terminal wine regedit and change the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Microsoft
Games/Close Combat/3.00/PlayVideos from 01 00 00 to 00 00 00 00.
- go to the CC3 installation directory and remove "/reg:32" from every line in the regs.cmd script either manually or using sed: sed 's/\/reg:32//g' regs.cmd > regs2.cmd
- run wineconsole regs2.cmd
If not using the GOG release add the ISO mountpoint directory as
CD-ROM drive in the winecfg->Drives tab. When the game starts complaining about the missing CD, click "browse" and select that drive.
Now you can play the game!
- NOTE: Yes, you will never see those great short movies, but if you don't change this value the game will crash immediately after start.
- I have experienced occasional crashes after playing for a while. This has probably something to do with saved games. After playing a scenario save it under a different name and if you experience crashes later on, load the backup, because this saved game is probably corrupted.
- Upon exiting the game will crash. Don't worry it is going to start up again next time you play.