Installing downloaded demo, the game itself, sound and music, gameplay, completing the only track.
What does not
Strangely, the menu (not the gameplay) performance is terrible - the mouse moves around awfully.
The game chooses really strange resolution "640x512" and there is no chance to change it as far as I know. Thus, the lower part of the screen is filled with garbage while in menu.
The game doesn't work with Wine's built-in libs, I've used the directx with winetricks.
The game starts once in a few times only - sometimes it may give a blank screen. The best option is restart it then.
The game is really choppy when running on a SMP machine (multicore) - see the warning below, I've used the "schedtool" and it worked much better.
What was not tested
Multiplayer, using joysticks.
Video board is GeForce 9400GT, using proprietary driver (190.42).
|Distribution||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Rating||Submitter|
|Current||Mandriva 2010.0 x86_64||Mar 02 2010||1.1.37||Yes||Yes||Silver||Eau_De_Cologne|
|Show||Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jan 30 2008||0.9.54.||Yes||Yes||Gold||JeffZ|
|Show||Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jan 11 2008||0.9.53.||Yes||Yes||Platinum||JeffZ|
|Show||Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Dec 30 2007||0.9.52.||Yes||Yes||Platinum||JeffZ|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|11317||Need for Speed II Demo - hangs on smp machine||NEEDINFO||View|
If you try to run this game on a system that has multiple cores or cpus it probably won't work. The game appears to suffer from some issues that manifest themselves when run on multiple cores.
If you want this game to work well it appears you need a single cpu system or to be able to limit your system that way. schedtool is a program which will let you run wine on 1 cpu, eg. schedtool -a 0x1 -e wine nfsw.exe
The glide version needs a Wrapper in order to work, and updated nfs2sea.exe (found HERE). I'm using dgVoodo with this configuration: RenderAPI: Direct3D9 Display Driver: Direct3D9 HAL Screen Mode: windowed mode D3D Textures bit depth: 32 bits texture options: autogenerate mipmaps LFB access: Enable FSB access (use hardware cache buffers when poss, use fastwrite for unmatching formats) ColorKeying Method: Native Texture Mem Size: 65536KB Resolution: 1024x768 Gamma Correction: 100% Miscellaneeous: force triple buferring, use hardware vertex buffers, enable glide-gammaramp Note: Full screen mode does not work for me with dgvoodo, but windowed mode with the display's resolution, shows the game in fullscreen.
How to Install
1. Change Windows version in winecfg to Windows 95/98 (installation crashes with 2008/Vista/2003/XP/2000)
2. Go to Drivers tab and add drive D. Redirect the drive to path where your CD is mounted, for example: /media/Nfsiise/
3. Install by wine ./SETUP/ENGLISH/SETUP.EXE and not by AUTORUN.EXE
4. Case occurs the message Hardware not detected, ignore and press ok until the installation continues normally.
How to Play
1. Change back Windows version to XP 2. Download fix utility from HERE 3. Run the fix on game directory: $ wine pe.exe nfs2sen.exe 4. Install schedtool (read "Freezing/crashing" note) 5. Run NFS2 by: $ schedtool -a 0x1 -e wine nfs2sen.exe 6. Ignore message Your hard drive has less than 1MB free space case occurs. 7. Enjoy!