If you try to run this game on a system that has multiple cores or
cpus it probably won't work. The game appears to suffer from some
issues that manifest themselves when run on multiple cores.
If you want this game to work well it appears you need a single cpu system or to be able to limit your system that way. schedtool is a program which will let you run wine on 1 cpu, eg. schedtool -a 0x1 -e wine nfsw.exe
The glide version needs a Wrapper in order to work, and updated nfs2sea.exe (found HERE).
I'm using dgVoodo with this configuration:
Display Driver: Direct3D9 HAL
Screen Mode: windowed mode
D3D Textures bit depth: 32 bits
texture options: autogenerate mipmaps
LFB access: Enable FSB access (use hardware cache buffers when poss, use fastwrite for unmatching formats)
ColorKeying Method: Native
Texture Mem Size: 65536KB
Gamma Correction: 100%
Miscellaneeous: force triple buferring, use hardware vertex buffers, enable glide-gammaramp
Note: Full screen mode does not work for me with dgvoodo, but windowed mode with the display's resolution, shows the game in fullscreen.
How to Install and Play
How to Install
1. Change Windows version in winecfg to Windows 95/98 (installation crashes with 2008/Vista/2003/XP/2000)
2. Go to Drivers tab and add drive D. Redirect the drive to path where your CD is mounted, for example: /media/Nfsiise/
3. Install by wine ./SETUP/ENGLISH/SETUP.EXE and not by AUTORUN.EXE
4. Case occurs the message Hardware not detected, ignore and press ok until the installation continues normally.
How to Play
1. Change back Windows version to XP
2. Download fix utility from HERE
3. Run the fix on game directory: $ wine pe.exe nfs2sen.exe
4. Install schedtool (read "Freezing/crashing" note)
5. Run NFS2 by: $ schedtool -a 0x1 -e wine nfs2sen.exe
6. Ignore message Your hard drive has less than 1MB free space case occurs.