1. Change Windows version in winecfg to Windows 95/98 (installation crashes with 2008/Vista/2003/XP/2000)
2. Go to Drivers tab and add drive D. Redirect the drive to path where your CD is mounted, for example: /media/Nfsiise/
3. Install by wine ./SETUP/ENGLISH/SETUP.EXE and not by AUTORUN.EXE
4. Case occurs the message Hardware not detected, ignore and press ok until the installation continues normally.
How to Play
1. Change back Windows version to XP
2. Download fix utility from HERE
3. Run the fix on game directory: $ wine pe.exe nfs2sen.exe
4. Install schedtool (read "Freezing/crashing" note)
5. Run NFS2 by: $ schedtool -a 0x1 -e wine nfs2sen.exe
6. Ignore message Your hard drive has less than 1MB free space case occurs.
Fix Multicore Freezing / crashing
If you run NFS2 on a multicore/multicpu system you will find that NFS2 will crash, either on the menu or after clicking Race.
To work around this, you need to limit Wine to run on 1 core only, you can do this using schedtool.
Install with: # apt-get install schedtool if you use Ubuntu, or # pacman -S schedtool if you use Arch Linux
$ wget http://freequaos.host.sk/schedtool/schedtool-1.1.2.tar.bz2
$ tar xf schedtool-1.1.2.tar.bz2
$ cd schedt*
$ sudo make install
run nfs by:
$ schedtool -a 0x1 -e wine nfs2sen.exe
Fix out of memory / insufficient memory
If you get an error while trying to start the game, then you need to apply a fix to the game executable.
open a terminal and cd to the install directory
Glide version need a Wrapper to work and updated nfs2sea.exe (found HERE).
I'm use dgVoodo with this configuration:
Display Driver: Direct3D9 HAL
Screen Mode: windowed mode
D3D Textures bit depth: 32 bits
texture options: autogenerate mipmaps
LFB access: Enable FSB access (use hardware cache buffers when poss, use fastwrite for unmatching formats)
ColorKeying Method: Native
Texture Mem Size: 65536KB
Gamma Correction: 100%
Miscellaneeous: force triple buferring, use hardware vertex buffers, enable glide-gammaramp
Note: Full screen mode not work for me with dgvoodo, but windowed mode with the same resolution of display, show game in fullscreen.
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. WineHQ is not responsible for what they say.
by Hori873 on Saturday January 24th 2015, 1:06
RE: pe.exe by Cedric Heintz on
Saturday January 24th 2015, 4:23
RE: pe.exe by Hori873 on
Sunday February 15th 2015, 2:10
RE: pe.exe by Lara Maia on
Saturday January 24th 2015, 9:07
How to Deal with Freezing
by George Edison on Sunday July 31st 2011, 19:17
If the game freezes (which unfortunately happens quite regularly), I have had very good success at resuming the game simply by minimizing the application (many window managers assign 'show desktop' to Super+D) and then switching back to the game.