After two weeks of regular use, and conversion of a few dozen existing projects from version 3.4 to version 5.0.1, we have found 5.0.1 to be really solid with only one notable feature that does not seem to work well, and one minor annoyance.
* Graphical design UI - very good, no problems encountered
* Database SQL generation near perfect (one non-WINE SQL error with 'procedures')
* Report features very good
* Version control excellent
* Attribute package manager great new feature works well
* All Data Dictionary manager/report features work well
What does not
* Export of graphic using 'Version 3 style bitmaps', the program will frequently hang and must be killed and restarted.
These small bitmaps are only used as PK/FK indicators in ER diagrams and this is only a minor problem if you happen to like those particular icons. To avoid the problem simply select 'Version 2 style bitmaps' or 'Text indicators' in the menu...
File >> Display preferences >> Indicators
* A minor annoyance is that the program seems to leave 'dezversionsXX.dvf' files in my ~/.wine/drive_c/windows directory, with XX being a sequential number generated each time I open the application. They are empty files unless you actually create an alternate version of a project and seem to be safely removable, but they accumulate over time! This did not seem to happen when run under the other OS, but I did not test it extensively.
What was not tested
We have worked almost exclusively with MySQL 4 and MySQL 5 plus limited PostgreSQL. We did not test with other target DBMSs.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Mandriva 2006||Mar 05 2008||0.9.55.||Yes||Yes||Platinum||an anonymous user|
|Show||Mandriva 2006||Feb 21 2008||0.9.55.||Yes||Yes||Platinum||an anonymous user|