Everything. Absolutely flawless, even zMapper works (which requires OpenGL), excellent performance. More memory available than in a Windows box, allowing for more subdivision levels and detail.
What does not
Minimize "seems" to not work, locking the cursor, but it's just a question of clicking the 'Restore Hidden Windows' bottom-left button in Ubuntu and clicking on the zBrush window button again. Negligible quirk, as soon as you get used to just using the restore windows button you completely forget about it.
What was not tested
Nothing, tested all menus.
I've tested a straight 3.1 install with the Vista WinSxS files and it didn't work - resulted in supposedly missing System32 files. I then installed the demo first with WinXP SxS files (exactly as recommended) and it worked flawlessly, not sure what caused the problem but I'd bet on the Vista SxS files.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jul 04 2009||1.0.1||Yes||Yes||Platinum||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||May 13 2008||1.0-rc1||Yes||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||May 13 2008||0.9.59.||Yes||Yes||Platinum||an anonymous user|
Âhow to install zbrush 3.1 in ubuntu hardy 8.04 with wine
by zero on (October 31st 2008)
1. in order to install the full version of zbrush 3.1 you need to install the demo version first.
2. you need a working zbrush installation in windows to grab
a file named vcomp.dll search it under windows folder on your windows
installation copy and paste it under /windows/system32 wine folder.
3. back to your ubuntu and go to applications > wine > browse c:\ drive and delete the folder /winsxs under windows folder then copy the folder with the same name you can find inside working windows installation. you will notice the name is capitalized and different from the one you just deleted, ignore the difference.
4. go to applications > wine > configure wine and on the application tab change the windows version to windows 98.
5. install dcom98 using this command on terminal
wget www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks && sh winetricks dcom98
6. run zbrush and use the key like you do it in windows installation.