1. Copy riched20.dll, riched32.dll, urlmon.dll, oleaut32.dll, and hhctrl.ocx from a working Windows XP installation to your Wine system32 directory. This will bypass the incomplete Wine richedit, HTML Help, and OLE automation implementations.
2. In your Wine configuration dialog, under the Libraries tab, set the following files to native:
hhctrl.ocx (You may have to type this one in instead of selecting it from the drop-down list)
And set these to builtin:
3. Set the Windows emulation to Windows ME
4. Run the installer normally, ignoring the OLE and Java error messages. If desired, the MSDN library can also be installed at this time. After installation, set the OS emulation back to Windows XP.
5. Open a terminal and browse to the Wine system32 directory. Execute the following command: wine regsvr32 comcat.dll (this will fix up the VB6 OLE subsystem)
6. As there will likely be no shortcuts generated by the install, generate a Linux shortcut to VB6.EXE
7. After VB has loaded, if the MSDN library was installed, go ahead and execute it by Help-->Contents. Wine will ask for Gecko; it must be installed for HTML Help rendering to work. If the automatic installation fails, you will have to manually extract the Wine Gecko cabinet file to your Wine directory--the winetricks script works well for this task. Note that Gecko does not render everything correctly, and it is very easy to crash the MSDN help system due to this fact. To minimize system instability, it is recommended to install the full help system instead of the minimal or typical installs.
Alternate way to install VB6 under Wine 1.1.41 (develop version)
Linux Ubuntu 9.10
By waraltca. march 25/2010
1) add the wine repository to you ubuntu.
- On System>Administration>SoftwareOrigins
- Click on "OtherSoftware" Tab and click on add button.
- Paste ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa on the textbox and click on AddSource.
- If an error is thrown, don't care about.
2) Install MDAC 2.8 and dcom98 from winetricks (http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks)
3) Go to wine configuration>library TAB and make sure this dll are added.
- hhcrtl.ocx (este tienen que tieparlo, no aparece en la lista)
4) Put ole32 and rpcrt4 to (buitin, native)
5) Set the Windows emulation to Windows ME
6) Install VB6 and don't care about the java installation error message you will receive.
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. WineHQ is not responsible for what they say.
LMDE UP8 (Debian7), included Wine 1.4.1, VB6 then VB6SP6 worked
by Tom Becker on Tuesday March 11th 2014, 12:37