A decently complex application built with Visual Basic works well with Wine 1.1.41.
The following works:
- Applications using Microsoft Data Environment Instance 1.0
- Applications using ADODB (Testing)
- Applications using MSSQL via ODBC or via OLE DB
- Applications using MySQL via ODBC or via OLE DB
- Applications using 'Printer' class
- Applications using Crystal Reports 8.5 ActiveX
To get it working, I had to do the following:
1) Install 'mdac_typ' using 'winetricks' as the application was using Activex Data Objects (ADO) ADODB.RecordSet.
3) Install 'dcom98' using 'winetricks' as Wine 1.1.41
What does not
- A third party OCX control called ':) VB Skinner' (testing)
What was not tested
Pretty much everything else.
- A call to Visual Basic function 'DoEvents' make the application consume 100% cpu and not return in Wine 1.0.1.
- When accessing fields with name in ADODB.RecordSet an error comes up saying that the requested column is not found even though when enumerating the fields collection, the column clearly exists. This happened with Wine 1.0.1 and the bug was solved when Wine 1.1.26 was installed.
Installed VB6 sp3 This an open project. If all of us contribute it will be beter every day!
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Fedora 13||Oct 26 2010||1.3.4||Yes||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
|Current||Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Mar 25 2010||1.1.41||Yes||Yes||Silver||an anonymous user|
|Show||Debian GNU/Linux 6.x "Squeeze"||Apr 24 2010||1.1.38||Yes||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Aug 07 2009||1.1.26||N/A||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
|Show||Fedora 8||Mar 30 2009||1.1.18||Yes||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|12789||vb6 with sheridan datawidgets, grids are drawn off the window||NEW||View|
|19751||VB6 format function||NEW||View|
|20732||Icons are not rendered 100% correctly in VB6 apps||NEW||View|
|23726||Microsoft visual Basic 6.0: Crashes when adding certain characters to a programming statement||NEW||View|
|24914||Unable to resize form in visual basic 6 enterprise||NEW||View|
|30699||wine printing: barcode is not printed from VB6 application||NEW||View|
|33037||Visual Studio 6 can't be installed with WinVer >= Win2K (missing HKEY_PERFORMANCE_DATA 230, process object)||STAGED||View|
|33058||Visual Basic 6 crashes when object browser is clicked||NEW||View|
|33069||Visual Basic 6 can't load any component||NEW||View|
|33239||VisualBasic arrays of User Defined Type (UDTs) with strings||UNCONFIRMED||View|
2015-4-20 Admin note: this howto is very old. It has been confirmed by users to work for Wine 1.4.1, but may not be relevant to current Wine.
1) add the wine repository to you ubuntu.
- On System>Administration>SoftwareOrigins
- Click on "OtherSoftware" Tab and click on add button.
- Paste ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa on the textbox and click on AddSource.
- If an error is thrown, don't care about.
2) Install MDAC 2.8 and dcom98 from winetricks (http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks)
3) Go to wine configuration>library TAB and make sure this dll are added.
- hhcrtl.ocx (este tienen que tieparlo, no aparece en la lista)
4) Put ole32 and rpcrt4 to (buitin, native)
5) Set the Windows emulation to Windows ME
6) Install VB6 and don't care about the java installation error message you will receive.