1) The vanilla installation fails due to the fact that Wine does not contain DLL: mfc42.dll
2) I copied the mfc42.dll from my XP installation into C:\windows\system32 as recommended in other forums.
3) With the DLL in place the installation fails as follows:
"The wizard was interrupted before Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1 could be completely installed. Your systerm has not been modifed. To install the program at a later time, please run the installation again."
4) Running the installation program again, ends with the program claiming success.
5) Executing wine Virtual\ PC.exe fails with the error "The Virtual Machine Monitor driver required by VIrtual PC is missing. Please reinstall Virtual PC and try again."
What does not
I am unable to determine how to install the Virtual Machine Monitor driver. Thus, I can't get anything to work.
What was not tested
I was not able to run any program under the virtual machine.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Oct 28 2008||1.1.7||Yes||Yes||Garbage||an anonymous user|
Program requires MSXML6 to start. ( mfc42.dll ) Due to Wine's design, this program cannot work because it requires a low-level kernel Windows driver (similar to VirtualBox's r0 (ring 0) driver) to run. Program Warns about this.