Version 1.9.x - latest 1.9.11 is dated 2010-12-24
- Creating test-videos (through the tools-menu)
- Loading most avi/mpeg videos or imagesequences
- Applying almost all filters
- Changing framerate
- Extracting frames
- Saving videos
- Saving using an installed XViD codec
- Using the capture mode (screencapture with OpenGL disabled) (!)
- Running batch-jobs (networksupport!)
What does not
- Using DirectX Output causes freeze or display problems. Disable it under Options -> Preferences -> Display
- Using OpenGL for screen-captureing in capturemode did not work for me. Works without OpenGL
- A few filters can cause a freeze (e.g. some from MSU)
- Detecting other capture devices did not work for me (i.e. my webcam)
What was not tested
- Using other Input-Plugins fpr MPEG2/Quicktime/WMV etc.
- Saving with a different codec than XVid
- Running a very long job (like filtering/compression of a whole movie)
Rarely it may happen that VirtualDub freezes or sometimes filters cause it to crash. The required codecs also need to be installed on the System first before VD can use them. Hardwareaccelerated rendering/displaying/capturing also causes some problems. This is why I did not rate it 'Platinum', yet VirtualDub is highly usable with wine!
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Oct 02 2013||1.6||Yes||Yes||Platinum||an anonymous user|
|Show||Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion"||Jan 09 2013||1.5.21||Yes||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
|Show||Slackware 13.1||Jul 22 2010||1.2||N/A||Yes||Platinum||an anonymous user|
|Show||openSUSE 11.2 x86_64||Jun 27 2010||1.1.44||N/A||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
|Show||openSUSE 11.2 x86_64||Dec 26 2009||1.1.35||Yes||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
To have a context menu in KDE (e.g. Dolphin):
[Desktop Entry] Type=Service ServiceTypes=KonqPopupMenu/Plugin MimeType=video/* Actions=Virtualdub; #X-KDE-Submenu=Virtualdub #X-KDE-Submenu[de]= Encoding=UTF8 [Desktop Action Virtualdub] Name=Compress using Virtualdub Icon=video Exec=~/bin/virtualdub.sh ~/path/default-compression.vcf "%f"
#!/bin/bash export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine WINE=/usr/bin/wine VDUB=~$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Progs/VirtualDub/VirtualDub.exe VCF=$(winepath -w "$1") JOBS=$(winepath -w ~/path/virtualdub.jobs) VIDEO=$(winepath -w "$2") #echo $WINE $VDUB /master $JOBS /s $VCF $VIDEO $WINE $VDUB /master $JOBS /s $VCF $VIDEO
If you don't need compression presets, you may remove all VCF stuff. If you want to use the default JOBS file, you may remove all JOBS stuff.