Installation works. Game works and can be played but the intro sequences into Chapter 1 freeze the game. Fortunately a workaround can be used. Loading/saving a game works.
What does not
The intro sequence to Chapter 1 freezes the game. Also, some of the videos will pursue while showing a black screen.
Using the 64-bit version of Wine never worked for me. The 32-bit version of Wine had to be used to get the game running.
- using Wine 32-bit executable turned out to be necessary.
- when the game starts, the ESC key will show a menu. In the menu, there is the possibility to load a previously saved game. In order to overcome the game video sequence freezing before reaching the playable chapter 1, I had to download from pcsavegames the chapter 1 soho hospital saved game, unzipped the content into the SAVEGAMES folder within the "Runaway Windows" folder, restarted the game and then, pressing ESC -> load -> picked the very first saved game (number 1) by using the Up arrow.
- for the game to work, in winecfg, I picked WindowsXP, and more important, ensured all checkboxes in the Display tab of winecfg are ticked (enabling Wine virtual desktop)
What was not tested
- when installing the game, I chose the "Maximum" option. I did not test the other options ("minimal","normal")
On my debian buster configuration (amd64), and to enable the game to start with Wine 32 bit, I had to:
- add the i386 architecture
- follow the instructions from winehq to add the winehq repository in sources.list and installed the winehq-stable package
- install the GStreamer1.0-libav:i386 package + the good, bad, ugly codec packages of Gstreamer1.0 (i386) to play the Microsoft MPEG 4.3.3 video sequences that the game requires.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Debian GNU/Linux 10.x "Buster" x86_64||Apr 14 2021||6.0||Yes||Yes||Yes||Silver||jlrdh|
|Show||Slackware64 14.2 multilib||Feb 09 2019||4.1||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Simone Giustetti|
|Show||Debian GNU/Linux 6.x "Squeeze"||Mar 05 2013||1.4||Yes||Yes||Gold||firencombomaster|
|Show||Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Feb 01 2010||1.1.37||Yes||Yes||Gold||Javier Brude|
|Show||Fedora 11 x86_64||Nov 19 2009||1.1.32||Yes||Yes||Platinum||an anonymous user|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|3260||StarForce 3.x: games crash or fail to start due to missing kernel driver infrastructure [metabug]||CLOSED||ABANDONED||View|
|6072||Demo of Runaway: A Road Adventure crashes||CLOSED||FIXED||View|
|8630||Patch renders "Runaway - A road adventure" unplayable||CLOSED||INVALID||View|
|37762||Runaway & Runaway 2: wrong colors||CLOSED||FIXED||View|