- Game installs with no problem
- Game runs with no problem
- Mini-games seem to work but couldn't test them all
What does not
- Wasn't able to find anything that didn't work but still had strange graphical artifacts at the bottom left of the window
What was not tested
- Not all the mini-games as there are just too many
These test results are after following the steps in the how-to below. Please vote (left of this text) for this application to get more Wine Developer support
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Oct 14 2009||1.1.31||Yes||Yes||Silver||Gareth|
|Show||Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Oct 12 2009||1.1.30||Yes||Yes||Silver||Gareth|
|Show||Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Sep 17 2009||1.1.29||Yes||No||Garbage||an anonymous user|
|Show||Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard"||Sep 07 2009||1.1.29||Yes||Yes||Bronze||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||May 12 2009||1.1.21||Yes||No||Garbage||an anonymous user|
1. Make sure you are using at least version 1.1.30 of Wine
2. Go to Terminal and run regedit to get to the Wine registry editor.
3. On the left expand the tree at HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Wine.
4. If you do not have a key called Direct3D right click the Wine folder and choose New Key then give it the name Direct3D.
5. Right click the Direct3D key and choose to add New String Value and give it the name OffscreenRenderingMode
6. Double click the new String value and in the Value box use backbuffer.
7. You also need to use winetricks to setup additional programs under wine. Go to http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks to see how to get winetricks onto your computer
8. Once you have winetricks go to a terminal and to the same directory where you have winetricks installed and enter:
sh winetricks d3dx9 vcrun2005
9. Follow any prompts from the installation of these packages and wait till they are completed.
1. You can go to www.mozilla.com and make sure that you download FIrefox 3.5 but the WINDOWS version.
2. Run the Installer with wine and it should install no problem.
3. Run the Windows Firefox (Applications > Wine > Programs > Mozilla Firefox) and go to http://www.adobe.com/go/EN_US-H-GET-FLASH and follow directions to install Flash Player as if you were in Windows.
Get into Free Realms
1. Go to the Free Realms site, and log in as normal.
2. You might get a prompt from Firefox to allow the site to install an addon. Accept this as normal and it will restart Firefox when done.
3. You should now see the game client downloading and installing as normal.
4. Once downloaded and installed click the "Play Now" button and it will open Free Realms.
5. If you use KDE (eg Kubuntu), you may notice that you cannot run continuously. Open System Settings, go to the Keyboard applet and disable Keyboard Repeat while you play and all will be well.
Exiting Free Realms
Please be aware that there seems to be a bug with Free Realms that once you exit the process doesn't exit properly and you need to go to the System Monitor (Ctrl+Esc in KDE) and kill the process manually.
Turn off all desktop effects. In Kubuntu hold Alt+Shift and press F12. In Ubuntu go to System > Preferences > Appearance > Visual Effects tab and choose "None".