Etax2009 version of July 13, 2009.
1. Installation started by:
$ msiexec /i etax2009_1,msi
2. Reading of taxpayer's 2008 .TAX file for data unlikely to change (rollover).
3. Entry of income and CGT data, writing of .TAX file and calculation of tax.
4. Print out of tax return for records or paper lodgement with ATO.
5. Reading of .TAX file by etax2009 running under MS Windows XP for prefilling, registration or Internet lodgement.
6. Reading of .TAX file partially prepared and written using XP by etax2009 running under Wine.
7. Check for etax2009 updates and error messages.
What does not
1. Companion help program.
2. Secure communications with ATO (prefilling, registration and lodgement).
What was not tested
My tax affairs are simple so most of etax2009 was not tested.
1. I installed msxml4.dll and msxml4r.dll using winetricks for etax2008 and they are still necessary. 2. Etax2006 and etax2007 worked better.
|Distribution||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Rating||Submitter|
|Show||Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard"||Dec 06 2009||1.1.33||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Garry Brooke|
|Show||Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jun 30 2009||1.1.22||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Robert Backhaus|
|Show||Debian GNU/Linux 6.x "Squeeze" x86_64||Oct 29 2009||1.0.1||Yes||Yes||Bronze||an anonymous user|
|Current||Debian GNU/Linux 5.x "Lenny"||Jul 22 2009||1.0.1||Yes||Yes||Bronze||an anonymous user|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
In order to do any testing on this program, a "TFN" or Tax File Number is required. "123456782" passes validation, and can be used to test operation of the software.It is not, however, a valid number at the tax office, so you cannot use it to test verification or lodgement.
Use the latest Wine:
Make sure you are running the latest version of Wine (currently 1.1.26). You can check your version with the command:
If you do not have the latest version, follow the instructions at Wine Binary Downloads
You need msxml via winetricks. Run this command:
Once you have the etax install file, run it with Wine:
$ msiexec /i etax2009_1.msiHopefully the entire process will complete successfully. If you encounter a problem, please file a bug or post a comment.
At present, securely verifying your identity and lodgement does not work. These steps must be carried out on a windows machine.
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. WineHQ is not responsible for what they say.
- RE: eTax 2009 in Mac OS X by Garry Brooke on Wednesday December 9th 2009, 23:35
- RE: Encouraging the ATO by Hew McLachlan on Tuesday August 4th 2009, 6:41