After enough work, I've been able to get most of the game working.
I am able to log in, play normally (even with medium level graphics on), rebirth, change channels, etc.
To get it to work:
- Download the installer from Nexon's site.
- Installing works fine with default Wine settings, so just double click and install to the default location.
- Open your Wine Configuration, add the following applications and set them to run with Windows ME:
- Now select Client.exe, go to the Graphics tab, and select Emulate a Virtual Desktop. I have mine set to 1024x768 but I'm sure you can do whatever the usual ones are.
- If audio doesn't work well, try using the ALSA Driver under the Audio tab. It works perfectly that way for me. I was told to do that in one tutorial, and haven't tried any other way.
- Download winetricks and install IE6 and Flash. And possibly Gecko. These will allow the launcher/patcher and the ad at the end to work correctly (visually if nothing else, as you still can't click on the ad at the end..or maybe Wine just can't open browser windows/let flash close the application).
- If you have Compiz installed, change the hotkey for "(Mouse) Initiate Window move" to something other than Alt+Button1 (such as Super+Button1). Mabinogi played will know that Alt+Click is a very important combination in game to pick up items, and laving this hotkey in Compiz makes it very difficult to use that.
What does not
The following I still haven't been able to get to work:
- Exploration Chronicle.
- Reading books.
- PvP Ranking
- Guild Home page
- Although the ad at the end displays, it will not pop up a browser window when you click the ad, and it will not close when you click the Close button. You still have to Force Quit.
What was not tested
To the best of my knowledge, I've tested everything.