Retail release June 15, 2010
This entry is just for testing the installer of Microsoft Office 2010 (aka Office 14) office suite.
Reports on specific programs included in Office 2010 should be submitted to their respective AppDB entries.
Office 2010 is available in 7 editions and 4 different licenses:
When reporting test results, please follow the Guidelines for Submitting Test Reports below (scroll down to notes section).
|Version:||2010 (32 bit)|
|Votes:||Marked as obsolete|
|Latest Wine Version Tested:||7.0-rc1-staging|
Maintainers: About Maintainership
Package Extracts and Installer Starts to Run
What does not
Installer Doesn't Complete and GUI won't allow entry of Product Key, you can type it in but the CONTINUE button doesn't illuminate.
What was not tested
Application won't complete installation
I managed to get the installer to start by using this work around: wine O2010_SingleImage_retail_ship_x86_en-us.exe /extract:Office2010 This then extracts to folder Office2010 Install MSXML6 from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=993c0bcf-3bcf-4009-be21-27e85e1857b1&displaylang=en Once that is installed go into the Office 2010 directory that the installer was extracted to, create a file called config.xml in that same directory and add this to it: ------------------------------------------ by Lee Ball on Thursday August 20th 2009, 13:27 The config.xml file should contain this: Configuration> PIDKEY Value="ENTER KEY HERE" /> Display Level="none" AcceptEula="Yes"/> /Configuration> Please add a < to the start of each line as this was being lost when trying to post the message and test data. Where it says ENTER KEY HERE, enter it as one long line of numbers with no spaces or dashes. -------------------------------------------- Then invoke the installer by running: wine setup.exe /config config.xml
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Fedora 35 x86_64||Dec 17 2021||7.0-rc1-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Discover|
|Show||Ubuntu 21.04 "Hirsute" (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Oct 12 2021||6.0.1||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||C. Leu|
|Show||FreeBSD 13||May 16 2021||5.0.5||Yes||Yes||No||Silver||Michael Ziehm|
|Show||Ubuntu 20.04 "Focal" (+ variants like Kubuntu)||May 11 2021||6.1||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||C. Leu|
|Show||Pop!_OS 20.04 LTS||Aug 30 2020||5.16||Yes||Yes||No||Silver||Parrottos|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|30033||Office 2010 Standard, Pro Plus: Volume activation fails||NEW||View|
|39810||Office 2007/2010/2013/2016 uninstallation fails||NEW||View|
|45208||Microsoft Office 2010 installer crashes at around 50 % mark||REOPENED||View|
|47537||Microsoft Application Virtualization Client installer (click2run.msi) for Office 2010 Starter fails||UNCONFIRMED||View|
Test reports that do not follow these guidelines will be rejected. Â
These instructions assume you are familiar with the basics of using Wine and Linux, including running apps from the command line. If you are new to Wine and/or Linux, before proceeding further please familiarize yourself with the information in the FAQ, particularly the sections on creating a 32 bit wineprefix, running an installer, and using wineprefixes.
After installing, set riched20 to native, builtin in winecfg to enable Powerpoint to start and selection boxes to display correctly.
Office Professional Plus does not require .NET to be installed, but if it detects that it is installed, it will look for a machine.config file. This will fail on Wine versions without wine-mono installed (i.e., versions prior to 1.5.6).
The recommended solution is to install wine-mono. The instructions below are provided solely for those who are unable to upgrade to a version of Wine supporting wine-mono.
There are two ways to work around this without installing wine-mono:
Installing winetricks dotnet20 will also work around the bug; however, because that will install native dlls that may cause other problems, it is not recommended.
The above workarounds must be done before running the installer. If you do not, and the installer fails, you must delete that wineprefix and start fresh, as the rollback process leaves behind something that prevents subsequent attempts from succeeding, even with one of the workarounds applied. Note also that a rolled-back install leaves running processes that must be killed manually.
There are known regressions affecting the Office 2010 installer in the versions of Wine listed below. Do not attempt to install in them.
In addition, Office 2010 is not installable in any version prior to 1.3.9; this includes all 1.2.x versions.
1) Copy the CD content to a folder on your computer
2) Find the folder named "Standard.WW" (or ProPlus.WW or whatever your version name)
3) Inside that folder should be a file named config.xml.
4) Edit config.xml and make sure that it has the following:
Configuration Product="Standard" (or ProPlus)
PIDKEY Value="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" (use your actual serial key here)
Setting Id="AUTO_ACTIVATE" Value="1"
Each of the above lines in the config.xml file should be between angled brackets, which unfortunately can't be shown here because the AppDB will not display anything between angled brackets. If you are unsure how it should look, see bug 30033 for an example with the brackets.
5) Save the config.xml file and run the installer..
Test reports that do not follow these guidelines will be rejected.
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. WineHQ is not responsible for what they say.
by James Campbell on Friday May 13th 2022, 5:54
by Henrique de Sousa on Friday January 29th 2021, 16:56
If you add and change gdiplus to "Native (windows)" I'm getting "IOPL not enabled", so I skipped that and only enabled riched20 on step 4:
2. Choose "Select the default wineprefix" then "Install a windows DLL or component" and from there install the dotnet20 and msxml6, following the instructions.
Again from "Select the default wineprefix" choose "install a font" and select the corefonts.
From winetricks and "Select the default wineprefix" choose run "winecfg". From there go to tab "Libraries" and click on *msxml6 then "Edit" and choose "Native (windows)".
3. Run the MS Office 2010 Professional x86 installer you have.
4. On winecfg as instructed above to the tab "Libraries" and from "new override for library" click the small arrow and choose to "Add" riched20 and gdiplus. Then click on both, "Edit" and as above change their override to "Native (windows)".
Everything works perfectly on a wine-staging-6.0 and 32bit prefix.
by Andy on Sunday August 15th 2021, 15:10
by C. Leu on Monday August 16th 2021, 3:07
As mentioned, the install worked mostly really good. In some cases there is just a small registry edit needed. (Most likely this is a graphics driver related thing.) Otherwise the overall operation of Office 2010 (32bit) in newer (64bit) Wine 6.x versions seems to be absolutely great.
by 0xc004f012 on Saturday September 3rd 2016, 5:10
Office 2010's software protection(licence checker) needs winbind to run. Wine issues a warning for this saying ntlmauth is required, and it's in the distro's winbind package.
Winbind pulls in samba. So on debian, this activates an active directory(samba server) and netbios logon server.
Turns out these processes are nmbd(netbios server) and smbd(samba domain server).
I can stop and disable these processes and office excel, word, powerpoint and onenote will keep working.
You can disable the extra services that come with samba on systemd:
systemctl disable smbd nmbd samba-ad-dc winbind
systemctl stop smbd nmbd samba-ad-dc winbind
With sysv, replace it with:
service servicename disable and service servicename stop
I've used the following link as a baseline guide:
I've used wine 1.8.x from debian 8 backports instead.
Also this may be of interest for activation:
These are my notes:
What was needed:
* Wine 1.8 backports got activation working, 1.6 bitched about network errors
* Winbind to be installed
* Winetricks to install dotnet2, corefonts
* So for winetricks the code is: apt-get install winetricks -y;winetricks corefonts dotnet20
* Winecfg to set windows version to XP. Setting wine to windows 7 would make excel go about not enough memory errors
* Winecfg to set msxml6 to built-in, then native. Otherwise it seems word bitches about some xml templates being wrong
* There was a dropdown menu in Word that wouldn't appear on the phone activation screen. This prevented me from finding out the phone number plus entering a confirmation number.
* Winecfg to set riched20 and gdiplus to native. Setting these and restarting word let me select the country for phone activation and the confirmation entry field became OK.
* I had to call +44 1290 211 388 which is MSFT Toll free activation number.
* Went through a couple of options, then selected mobile
* Got an SMS with a bitly link
* Had to click through a couple of options then enter the installation I
by 0xc004f012 on Saturday September 3rd 2016, 5:13
* Had to click through a couple of options then enter the installation ID
by Priyank Vashiar on Saturday April 13th 2019, 12:41