The test results for this version are very old, and as such they may not represent the current state of Wine. Please consider submitting a new test report.
Selected Test Results (selected in 'Test Results' table below)
- Save & Load
- Sound is not perfect, but works most of the time
What does not
What was not tested
Mostly I did the same as Stefan with ubuntu 11.04, but i will write it down anyway
- i added the following entries in regedit (comes with wine)
(add the "directories" if not present, entries are String value)
VideoMemorySize -> 256 (memory size of graphics card, for me it was 256 for intel 4500mhd)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/DirectSound/ (again DirectSound)
MaxShadowSize -> 0
- Install vcrun2005, directx9 and dotnet20 with winetricks
winetricks vcrun2005 directx9 dotnet20
- i installed it from Gamersgate, so i had to do some stuff for the accound verification, to start the download, which is described in comment 3 in the link below, make sure you do this as root or using sudo
- so i installed hoi3 (cancel .NET, VisualC++, DirectX installs)
- then i installed the patches 1.2 and 1.4
- delete the "quartz.dll" located somewhere in your .wine directory, comes with directx9
- now the game still crashes on start, so the only major difference to Stefan's instructions is the following
install the "quartz.dll" with winetricks
- now the game worked
- i then also downloaded and installed semper fi with patches 2.03 and 2.04 from gamersgate and this also works
- the game runs nearly perfect in singleplayer, except maybe the sound at times, but i did not have a single crash, for approx. 10h of uninterrupted gameplay
Some users are reporting you may have to set some more Registry Keys in order to experience better results (e.g. borders drawn incorrectly). You may try these:
DirectDrawRenderer to "opengl"
OffscreenRenderingMode to "backbuffer"
OffscreenRenderingMode to "pbuffer"
OffscreenRenderingMode to "fbo"
PixelShaderMode to "enabled"
VideoMemorySize to the size of your video memory (e.g. "512")
MaxShadowSize to "0"
The game needs hardware supporting Pixel Shader 2 to run!
HOWTO play Hearts of Iron III (+ AddOns)
1. Install the game inclusive the optional AddOns. If the installation process also wants to install DirectX, Visual C++ and / or .NET, cancel all these installations!
2. Install the dependencies of the game with winetricks: winetricks vcrun2005 directx9 dotnet20
NOTE: If you also have the "For the Motherland" AddOn installed, you need to do an additional "winetricks vcrun2010" to get the latest dependencies, too.
3. Open regedit (for e. g. type it in a terminal) and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D/ and make a new entry which is called:
as the value enter your amount of video memory (MB), for e. g. 256 or 512.
as Next, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/DirectSound/ and make again a new entry:
and set as the value: 0.
4. Open winecfg an go to the libraries tab an delete out the "quartz.dll".
That's it, you're ready to play. You can additionaly patch the game.