The game is playable in "fullscreen" mode.
What does not
Requires no-CD (because of Starforce).
Requires certain settings to be playable - starting with "Settings" (Setup.exe), starting in windowed mode, then changing resolution.
The game is not playable in windowed mode - mouse always runs away from window.
What was not tested
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca"||Dec 21 2015||1.7.55||Yes||Yes||Gold||Alexey Slepov|
|Show||Debian GNU/Linux 6.x "Squeeze"||Jul 31 2012||1.5.9||Yes||Yes||Silver||Alexey Slepov|
|Current||Debian GNU/Linux 6.x "Squeeze"||Apr 17 2012||1.4||Yes||Yes||Silver||Alexey Slepov|
|Show||Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||May 12 2011||1.3.19||No, but has workaround||Yes||Silver||Alexey Slepov|
|Show||Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Sep 30 2010||1.2||Yes||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
1. You need fixed exe to run the game (StarForce).
2. Do certain settings to make the game playable.
* To run the game first time, you need to start with "Settings" link (Setup.exe in game folder). Choose not to run in fullscreen and start the game.
* It seems, some new problems with mouse handling introduced lately. So, if you have problems with mouse in windowed mode (it runs away from window), the game is not playable for you in windowed mode. Switch to fullscreen (Alt-Enter).
* Change resolution to optimal, DO NOT check "fullscreen mode" box - on maximum resolution the game occupies whole screen. If game crashes, start the game again. It is started with new settings. Enjoy. :)
3. (Obsolete) If you have troubles with 2-CD installation:
You have two CD-disks. You run installation from first disk, it is mounted in /media/CHAOS1 (Z:\media\CHAOS1).
When second disk is required setup says "Insert disk 2 containing file data3.cab".
It is mounted in /media/CHAOS2 (Z:\media\CHAOS2) and wine somehow knows that path,
however in spite of existance of data3.cab at pointed path, setup can't find it.
After you put in second disk, you should make a soft link:
sudo ln -s /media/CHAOS2 /media/CHAOS1
Only then setup finds data3.cab.
(Don't forget to remove it after installation).