Installation via Steam, integration with Steam, general gameplay, most graphics features, music, sound effects, voice-overs, full-screen play (under Wine explorer, at least).
What does not
Upgrading the demo to the full installation via Steam. (Work-around: install Steam and Torchlight in a completely new WINEPREFIX.)
What was not tested
Installation methods other than Steam.
Requires vcrun2008 and d3dx9 via winetricks. Also has graphics bugs under Wine (see comments related to big fires), although there are work-arounds of varying quality and persistence. First attempt at running Torchlight under Wine was with Wine 1.1.18: this attempt was abysmal and frustrating, and a more recent version is highly recommended.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Linux From Scratch||May 24 2019||4.3||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Colum Paget|
|Show||Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Apr 03 2017||2.4||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Dmitri Smirnov|
|Show||Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Mar 27 2017||2.4||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Ben|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Mar 13 2016||1.9.5||Yes||Yes||Platinum||an anonymous user|
|Show||Manjaro Linux||Mar 07 2016||1.9.4||Yes||Yes||Platinum||an anonymous user|
1. Buy and Download installation file from either Gamersgate.com or Steam, "torchlightgame.com" and "perforctworld.com" versions will install but will NOT run.
2. download winetricks (http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks)
3. sh winetricks vcrun2008 d3dx9
4. download http://www.runicgames.com/uploads/safemode.zip, extract the files and run the .bat file using wine
5. either run winecfg and configure Display to run in emmulated desktop, or use the command line $ wine explorer desktop=Torchlight,1280x1024 "c:\program files\runic games\torchlight\torchlight.exe"
Forgive me for the moment until I can confirm the above $PATH stuff again, but I am doing this from memory. I have yet to succesfully run this game as I have the torchlightgames.com version. All comments are welcome and if you have new information for this howto please also note it in the comments section so we can maintain a properly updated HOWTO.