general gameplay using the highest details, including anti-aliasing (virtual desktop mode and fullscreen works, too)
changing various game options
sound, music using ALSA
rendering is fine
What does not
no sound without 'mmdevapi=disabled'
no other problems were observed
What was not tested
completing the game
Steam version. 'mmdevapi' needs to be set to 'disabled' in order to get sound. The game requires MS VC++ 2008 libraries ('winetricks vcrun2008'). I skipped full DirectX installation by commenting out the lines in the steam installscript that installs DirectX on the first start, only d3dx9_39.dll was required (placed into the game's directory by steam). Anti-aliasing can be enabled after setting 'Multisampling' to 'enabled' in the registry. Stable and good performance even on high settings.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Debian GNU/Linux Unstable "Sid" x86_64||Mar 11 2020||5.3||N/A||Yes||Yes||Gold||vv221|
|Show||Linux From Scratch||May 24 2019||4.3||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Colum Paget|
|Show||Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Apr 03 2017||2.4||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Dmitri Smirnov|
|Show||Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Mar 27 2017||2.4||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Ben|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Mar 13 2016||1.9.5||Yes||Yes||Platinum||an anonymous user|
1. Buy and Download installation file from either Gamersgate.com or Steam, "torchlightgame.com" and "perforctworld.com" versions will install but will NOT run.
2. download winetricks (http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks)
3. sh winetricks vcrun2008 d3dx9
4. download http://www.runicgames.com/uploads/safemode.zip, extract the files and run the .bat file using wine
5. either run winecfg and configure Display to run in emmulated desktop, or use the command line $ wine explorer desktop=Torchlight,1280x1024 "c:\program files\runic games\torchlight\torchlight.exe"
Forgive me for the moment until I can confirm the above $PATH stuffÂ again, but I am doing this from memory. I have yet to succesfully run this game as I have the torchlightgames.com version. All comments are welcome and if you have new information for this howto please also note it in the comments section so we can maintain a properly updated HOWTO.