Starting the game
What does not
Nothing so far beside character shadows in the menu selection. This can be fixed by deselecting hardware lightning for characters.
What was not tested
Playing the full game through.
Software: Ubuntu 10.04.02 x86_64 Wine version 1.3.24 NVidia driver version 195.36.24 Kernel 2.6.32-33-generic #70-Ubuntu SMP x86_64 Hardware: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ (2x2.7GHz) 3 GB DDR2 RAM ALiveXFire-eSATA2 motherboard Galaxy nVidia Geforce 9800 GT 512 MB 1 TB WD10EADS-00M HDD
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Linux From Scratch||May 24 2019||4.3||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Colum Paget|
|Show||Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Apr 03 2017||2.4||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Dmitri Smirnov|
|Show||Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Mar 27 2017||2.4||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Ben|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Mar 13 2016||1.9.5||Yes||Yes||Platinum||an anonymous user|
|Show||Manjaro Linux||Mar 07 2016||1.9.4||Yes||Yes||Platinum||an anonymous user|
1. Buy and Download installation file from either Gamersgate.com or Steam, "torchlightgame.com" and "perforctworld.com" versions will install but will NOT run.
2. download winetricks (http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks)
3. sh winetricks vcrun2008 d3dx9
4. download http://www.runicgames.com/uploads/safemode.zip, extract the files and run the .bat file using wine
5. either run winecfg and configure Display to run in emmulated desktop, or use the command line $ wine explorer desktop=Torchlight,1280x1024 "c:\program files\runic games\torchlight\torchlight.exe"
Forgive me for the moment until I can confirm the above $PATH stuff again, but I am doing this from memory. I have yet to succesfully run this game as I have the torchlightgames.com version. All comments are welcome and if you have new information for this howto please also note it in the comments section so we can maintain a properly updated HOWTO.