-Installation (After it installs, it will try to install directx 9 and other runtimes. when it does that, i forced kill the setup process. you need to install directx9 and the vc redistributables with winetricks)
- Gameplay works , however there are several texture corruptions ( only the human characters. not that bad, but still noticeable. and only the skin, not the equipment.)
- To get gameplay to be playable you need to do this (quoted from DL)
This patch seems to fix all of the mouse problems, although I had to up the sensitivity to 100 to get a decent camera speed.
Run like this: WINEFORCEMOUSEWARP=yes wine MassEffect.exe
What does not
- Configuration dialog (the config dialog itself works, but it says that i don't have a new enough directx9 version , and it's useless. however you can change settings ingame)
There are some small problems:
- Human skin textures and shaders are kind of broken. More or less.
Aren't that annoying but they are noticeable.
- Framerates are a tad bit slower than on Windows
- There is some occasional audio stuttering, but it's barely noticeable.
What was not tested
- whole story
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Debian GNU/Linux Testing "bullseye"||Jan 10 2020||5.0-rc4||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||bestie|
|Show||Debian GNU/Linux 10.x "Buster" x86_64||Nov 24 2019||4.20-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Prajwal Gaonkar|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Apr 14 2019||4.1-staging||N/A||Yes||Yes||Silver||HugoPoi|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Jun 19 2018||3.10||No||Not installable||No||Garbage||Sinan Ozan|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jan 04 2016||1.9.0||Yes||Yes||Gold||Jaka Kranjc|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|7991||Test Drive: Unlimited messed up graphics||REOPENED||View|
|24392||Unreal Engine 3: Motion Blur Effect Makes Games Unplayable||RESOLVED||NOTOURBUG||View|
|24417||America's Army 3 and other games fail: d3dcompiler needs a working HLSL compiler||NEW||View|
Be aware, that aforementioned stand-alone config utility in version 1.0 (unpatched) of Mass Effect has many issues under Windows as well, ofted resulting in its hang.
This problem occurs mainly (but not exclusively) on quad-processor machines.
Patched version should have this problems fixed (supposedly).
Get audio to work
Edit "Documents/BioWare/Mass Effect/Config/BIOEngine.ini"
Add the following under the "[ISACTAudio.ISACTAudioDevice]" section:
Ensure "Hardware Audio" is turned off in Sound settings in game
To get the MEUITM installer to work
A custom MassEffectModder.exe must be suppliedThis is seemingly due to it using functions not fully implemented in wine/mono
A hacky, usable version can be found here: https://github.com/DougTy/Mass...
Occasional "rendering exception" error while playing MEIUTM requires your game's binary be large address aware.
MassEffect.exe can be patched using this tool: https://www.techpowerup.com/fo...
Make a backup before patching!