Installs Gives a couple of error messages: "iTunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration. Audio/Video playback may not operate properly." "iTunes was not properly installed. If you wish to import or burn CDs you need to reinstall iTunes." The program opens. It allows me to sign in with my apple ID. * update * Store works. Searching works although you can't see the search field. You can find it by hovering your mouse in its general direction. When you get the I bar you're there.
What does not
The User Interface. Most notably the center windowpane doesn't load correctly. Everything else seems to lode fine, however. The menus to the top and left sides work. Yet, they look awful. Because the central window doesn't load correctly nothing actually works. You can click the menu options for all of the features and they seem to load. But, you can't see anything so it's useless. * Update * After letting it run for a while an error message displayed. "distnoted.exe encountered a serious error and needs to be closed." Then I started clicking on all the menus to the left. Things started showing up. I can now view the iTunes store. Account information cannot be updated. Forms load however, they disappear and reappear for no reason. They do not remain long enough to ensure accurate information entry.
What was not tested
I have not done hardly anything. The program works but has quite a few bugs.
I'm excited that it's working this well.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"||Jul 11 2021||6.5||Yes||Yes||No||Garbage||Wineo|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Apr 06 2014||1.7.15||Yes||No||Garbage||an anonymous user|
|Show||Scientific Linux 6||Aug 07 2012||1.5.10||Yes||Yes||Bronze||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jun 29 2012||1.5.7||Yes||No||Garbage||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jan 14 2013||1.4.1||Yes||Yes||Bronze||an anonymous user|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|3548||.lnk file is created on the desktop together with the program icon...||NEW||View|
|15590||Photoshop CS3 installation fails due to Bonjour Service startup error||NEW||View|
|25532||iTunes doesn't find shared music libraries||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|27030||iTunes 10.2.2 has UI artefacts (small black vertical line in listview column header separators)||NEW||View|
|30623||iTunes 10.6.1 UI corruption||NEW||View|
Please note that this is a work in progress. There may be better methods to optimising iTunes under WINE but these are the best so far. If you know of something that could be improved here please let us know.
NOTE 1: your screen might turn black during installs, don't panic, just move your mouse around and you will be able to see windows gradually. Switching workspaces also fixes this.
NOTE 2: The installers will most likely record that they have failed. It should be fine for now though.
1) You might need to useÂ Archive Manager, rar, or WinRar to extract AppleApplicationSupport.msi from the iTunesSetup.exe. Recent tests have not required this, but older versions of WINE seems to still need the extraction.
2) Make sure that your WINE config is set to Windows 7 (your screen might turn black during installs, don't panic, just move your mouse around and you will be able to see windows gradually. Switching workspaces also fixes this.)
3)Â Run AppleApplicationSupport.msi
4) Once that finishes run iTunesSetup. When it asks you if you want to turn autorun on, select no. iTunes will complain about this later (every time it's launched...) but if you select yes the installer will crash.
5) Switch your WINE configurations windows version to Windows 7.
6) Run iTunes
Check back here often as we will try to keep this up to date in accordance to advancements and suggestions.
I recently recived an email from the administrator to submit a more in depth type report. I am running Ubuntu 10.10 64 Bit on a AMD Phantom, NVIDIA 8800, 3gigs of ram, dual booted with Windows 7 Home Premium. I have Wine 1.3.23 installed successfully running foobar2000,Steam,ect. I downloaded the .exe file right clicked it > run with Wine and nothing happened. I tried this multiple times and waited twenty minutes on one go to see what would happen. I did not use wine tricks,Play On Linux, or Crossover to try and run this program. I will try these methods and post my results here ASAP.
I happened to try Wine Tricks, Play on linux, and crossover with no luck whatsoever. I currently have wine set to Windows XP....Thanks Andrew for your suggestion about setting my Windows version to 7 instead of XP. I will now try this and report back here.
I went to Applications>Wine>Configure Wine>Applications and set my Windows version to 7. I tried again with no luck. I rebooted and tried again with the same results. I tried crossover as well setting my new Bottle to Windows Vista (There is not a Windows 7 Option) with no luck.
Maybe Apple just doesn't want us to break their "perfect" monopoly between Mac and PC....*SIGH* Closed source software sucks....But please EVERYONE try this out! Here is the link to the software:
REPORT YOUR RESULTS!!!! LET"S GET THIS TO WORK!!!!