Update, Login, Character selection
What does not
What was not tested
|Distribution||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Rating||Submitter|
|Current||Arch Linux x86_64||Aug 12 2012||1.5.10||N/A||Yes||Bronze||KoKuToru|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Aug 12 2012||1.5.9||Yes||Yes||Gold||KoKuToru|
|Show||Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion"||Jul 28 2012||1.5.9||Yes||Yes||Gold||Mike Masterson|
|Show||Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard"||Dec 06 2012||1.4.1||Yes||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
|Show||Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion"||Jan 10 2012||1.3.36||Yes||Yes||Gold||Evan Burns|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|24632||Final Fantasy XIV Characters not rendering properly||NEW||View|
|36697||64-bit InstallShield engine COM server 'ISBEW64.exe' occasionally crashes on OLE teardown (32-bit InstallShield based installers in 64-bit WINEPREFIX)||NEW||View|
Step 1 Install Xcode from the Mac App Store -It's free
Step 2 Install XQuartz - get from xquartz.macosforge.org/downloads/SL/XQuartz-2.7.0.dmg - Once installed run this code from terminal:
defaults write org.macosforge.xquartz.X11 SUFeedURL static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/sparkle/beta.xml
- Open quartz and hopefully it'll ask you to update to the newest (XQuartz 2.7.1_rc1) -If not, just click check for updates -update -Logout and log back into OSX
Step 3 Install Mac Ports -Get from distfiles.macports.org/MacPorts/MacPorts-2.0.3-10.7-Lion.dmg -Open the dmg and double-click the package and run through the steps on the installer
Step 4 Install Wine - Open the terminal and su into your account with administrative privileges(not root):
-then enter your password - now, type:
port search wine
you will see a few entries here(6 as of 1/8/2012) - You are going to install wine-devel and winetricks.
sudo port install wine-devel
- This will generally take a very long time. It took me about two hours to install all the dependencies.
sudo port install winetricks
- this only takes a few minutes
- now exit out of your su
Step 5 Setup Wine to accept FFXIV - in terminal type this command:
- this will set up your directories to accept the install - Once it's done you will see your first Microsoft looking window. You don't need to change anything in here. Just click "OK" - Now, to avoid lockups and such, every time you close an X11 window, cmd-Q X11 and Terminal. - I do this every time. Wine tends to take over your terminal when you run it, and it doesn't always reset it when you close your windows program.
-reopen terminal and type:
-Make sure "Select the default wine prefix" is selected and click OK. -Click "Install a Windows DLL or component" and click OK -Check the box next to "IE8" and "winhttp" ---> These are the only two you need to install via wine tricks. -Click OK - Wine will now run in terminal installing the programs. You will see the installer for IE8 come up. Click through it, don't worry about installing updates as it doesn't seem to work anyways. When the install is done, your window will close for a bit..don't freak out like I did and start closing stuff. I think it took about 15-20 seconds. Internet explorer will open up and navigate to a webpage to show that you have internet through Wine. -Close Internet Explorer and cmd-Q out of X11 and terminal.
Step 6 Installing FFXIV -Open terminal and navigate to the directory of your install file on your disk. -easy way is type cd "space" then click and drag your disk image from your desktop into terminal, then press enter - now type the following command:
Install Directx using your cd. Not winetricks it will ask you if you want to install directs. Select yes and install it. When it's done, the box should close and the ffxiv installer won't come up. -cmd-Q out of X11 and Terminal again. -Navigate back to your install directory and run the wine ffxivsetup again. -Now ffxiv will install. Just click through the install and don't change anything. -Once everything is done, I don't remember if the game automatically loads or not, but I know it glitches out the first several times you try to load it, but don't worry, keep trying.
Step 7 Updating FFXIV -Navigate to your installed FFXIV directory. For me its: ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/SquareEnix/Final\ Fantasy\ XIV/ffxivboot.exe Type:
-Once I got it to load the updater downloaded the needed files pretty fast so I didn't worry about using another torrent client to do it, as it's glitchy enough loading to try to close and throw files in the directories and reopen it. -When all of your updates get installed(an hour or so), close your windows and cmd-Q everything. -now open terminal, navigate to your application directory and type:
-this is a little tricky, select language, click OK and click Yes when it asks you to save your settings. -don't worry about cmd-Q here. Only do this exactly as written because it can crash at this point. Open ffxivconfig again, click only on the "Font Settings" tab, click the box next to "Use Windows system font", select a font, Arial worked the first time for me, so I assume that's safe. Click ok, and save. -reopen ffxivconfig, you can adjust your video settings here. Keep in mind that "General Drawing Quality" and "Background Drawing Quality", affect whether or not your character is invisible in-game. My settings are GDQ=5 and BDQ=2 and it works perfectly. Window size is 1280x720. - In graphics I have "Ambient Occlusion", "Depth of Field", and "Disable cutscene effects" all unchecked. "Enable hardware mouse cursor" is checked==> This is a must. TQ is standard and TF is low. -Click OK and Save. -cmd-Q your programs.
Step 8 Run FFXIV ------- Now the point that we've put all this work to get to------- -open terminal, navigate to your FFXIV directory, and type: wine ffxivboot.exe
Enjoy Your Game on OSX!!!!!
Optional Step 9 If you want to make separate executables for your programs, open apple script editor, type in this code, and save as an application:
tell application "Terminal" do script "/opt/local/bin/wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\\ Files/SQUAREENIX/Final\\ Fantasy\\ XIV/ffxivboot.exe" end tell
if you want one for config too, just change ffxivboot.exe to ffxivconfig.exe and save as an application to another file.
I found these all very helpful: xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X11-UsersFAQ for confusing the heck out of me www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/ for showing me how to make executables for loading ffxivconfig and ffxivboot www.macports.org/install.php - Walkthrough for installing macports appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=21478 - Craig - for getting me past the ffxivconfig crashing; Daniel Bethe - for the tip on installing xquartz.
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. WineHQ is not responsible for what they say.
- RE: Wine 1.5.10- Divide by zero when starting FFXIV by Michael D on Monday August 13th 2012, 23:53
- RE: Wine 1.5.10- Divide by zero when starting FFXIV by Jared Liming on Monday August 13th 2012, 23:58
- RE: Wine 1.5.10- Divide by zero when starting FFXIV by Jared Liming on Tuesday August 14th 2012, 0:19
- RE: Wine 1.5.10- Divide by zero when starting FFXIV by Jared Liming on Tuesday August 14th 2012, 1:35
- RE: Wine 1.5.10- Divide by zero when starting FFXIV by Mike Masterson on Tuesday August 14th 2012, 16:44
- crash from log.txt by Mike Masterson on Sunday July 29th 2012, 16:43
- crash from terminal window by Mike Masterson on Sunday July 29th 2012, 16:44
- RE: Working for the most part by Chiitoo on Sunday July 29th 2012, 18:37
- RE: Current Performance by Mike Masterson on Sunday July 29th 2012, 17:29
- RE: optimizing video by Daniel Bethe on Saturday January 7th 2012, 23:23
- RE: Hello by Daniel Bethe on Monday January 2nd 2012, 4:27
- RE: anyone still here? by Michael D on Friday October 28th 2011, 8:40
- RE: anyone still here? by John Stephen Kelley on Friday October 28th 2011, 18:07
- RE: anyone still here? by Daniel Bethe on Thursday December 29th 2011, 1:13
- RE: Successfully Fixed the issue. by Carwin Young on Sunday July 24th 2011, 19:57
- RE: by Daniel Bethe on Monday December 5th 2011, 2:55
- RE: Would be if I could by John Stephen Kelley on Sunday May 15th 2011, 0:21
- RE: For those having problems with the login by Echoplex on Saturday February 5th 2011, 6:45
- RE: Full Screen or at native resolution. by Randy on Thursday November 4th 2010, 23:05
- RE: Lobby error by Ziron on Saturday October 30th 2010, 17:42
- RE: Installer complains of disk space by Randy on Friday October 29th 2010, 16:06
- RE: by Ziron on Wednesday October 20th 2010, 12:23
- RE: Performance for those who got it running and rate it gold. by Ziron on Wednesday October 20th 2010, 10:46
- RE: Performance for those who got it running and rate it gold. by Milena on Wednesday October 20th 2010, 11:38
- RE: Performance for those who got it running and rate it gold. by Ziron on Wednesday October 20th 2010, 11:45
- RE: Client Launch Fails by lj waves on Thursday September 30th 2010, 19:42
- RE: Client Launch Fails by John Moffatt on Thursday September 30th 2010, 19:59
- RE: Client Launch Fails by Ben on Sunday October 10th 2010, 22:54
- RE: Blank screen at login by Wyatt on Saturday March 5th 2011, 15:59
- RE: Blank screen at login by Carwin Young on Saturday July 23rd 2011, 21:03
- RE: Blank screen at login by Jdar on Wednesday November 14th 2012, 12:35
- RE: Blank screen at login by Chiitoo on Wednesday November 14th 2012, 22:48
- RE: Blank screen at login by Jdar on Wednesday November 14th 2012, 23:11
- RE: Blank screen at login by Chiitoo on Thursday November 15th 2012, 1:38