Everything I saw in game. Controls, changing control settings, magic, sword, crossbow, walking, running, beehive-shooting.
Normal game-play successful until it crashed. I could have made it inside the city, but was playing around in the forest where it eventually crashed.
What does not
1. Wine's dinput.dll does not allow you to get into the game because you won't be able to use the up and down arrow keys and/or the enter key to enter a game from the game-menu (the menu after you click "play").
The dinput issue was fixed, but there has been a regression and it doesn't work again. See bug 28232.
This is gotten around by copying dinput.dll from a Windows installation and putting it in drive_c/windows/system32 in your Wine prefix and then setting the dll override for dinput in winecfg for that prefix.
You're looking for the 32-bit dinput dll. The 32-bit dll on a 64-bit Windows installation is found in the SysWOW64 folder. The 64-bit libraries in a 64-Bit Windows installation are in the System32 folder. Don't be fooled.
2. Also, the DirectX software check causes the installer to fail. See bug 29806. For the installer to succeed in installing Hype, after you click "Install" you must click "Change" then "Software tests...", then uncheck "Microsoft DirectX Media" and click "OK".
3. And finally, bug 29805. Some pre-game videos don't show, though you can hear them. From when you click "Play" to the Ubisoft loading bar is missing video and from the Ubisoft loading bar to the video showing you as a statue are the two missing segments of pre-game video, though you can hear them.
4. Also, the installer goes over 100% to about 116%. I remember in earlier versions of Wine it would go to 117%. Interestingly, it goes over 100% when it actually works. And it stopped at 100% when it failed. When it failed it failed because I didn't uncheck the DirectX Media software test.
See bug 29809.
5. After playing the game for a while, it crashed to my desktop. Not something you can notice right away from doing a quick test.
What was not tested
Didn't go through the whole game, just tried to prove it's stability. It worked pretty well for a while.
Don't forget to set the Windows version to NT 4.0 in winecfg. Don't forget to choose D3D instead of 3DFX when you play for the first time. Don't forget to uncheck the Microsoft DirectX Media check: For the installer to succeed in installing Hype, after you click "Install" you must click "Change" then "Software tests...", then uncheck "Microsoft DirectX Media" and click "OK".
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Linux Mint 11 "Katya" x86_64||Feb 05 2012||1.4-rc2||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Jake Thomas|
|Show||Linux Mint 11 "Katya" x86_64||Oct 06 2011||1.3.29||Yes||Yes||Silver||Jake Thomas|
|Show||Linux Mint 11 "Katya" x86_64||Sep 29 2011||1.3.29||Yes||No||Garbage||Jake Thomas|
|Show||Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard"||Oct 08 2010||1.2||No||Not installable||Garbage||an anonymous user|