It runs near perfectly. Here's what worked:
1. Installation - Runs Perfect
2. The launcher (that lets you choose graphic settings): Runs Perfect
3. Launching the game: Almost perfect. For me, sometimes the game screen is black when I start it up, not often. See the "What does not work" section for the workaround.
4. Joystick, works perfectly except for force feedback. I can't seem to get force feedback to work without having a constant, light vibrating feedback from the controller.
5. The actual gameplay: Runs awesome.
Was able to run the game in 1280x1024x32 with no problems other than the occasional black screen, which doesn't lock the whole system and you can get out of it without a reboot or killing the desktop environment.
What does not
1. There's a control issue. If you have a joystick connected, the keyboard will not work until you move down to the next item in the menu with the joystick first. Once you send that first input with the joystick, the keyboard starts working.
2. On my system, when I start the game, I sometimes get a completely black screen. The game seems to be running somewhere in the universe, as I can hear the sound, but I get no video. If this happens to you, you can get out of it by simply pressing the down arrow key 5 or 6 times to make sure you're at the bottom of the menu. This is the exit option, press enter. Then, press down once more to select "yes" and press enter again. You basically just have to blindly select exit to leave the game.
3. Trying to host a network multiplayer game, via TCP/IP, causes the game to freeze. I tried configuring the network (basically just entering your IP) in the game to ensure it's set up properly, no luck. Joining a multiplayer game seems to search the network without problems. If you're looking to play against a Windows host, you may connect successfully to the host.
What was not tested
1. Multiple joysticks
2. Split screen multiplayer mode (though it'll probably be a blast if it works, and I think it should)
3. Connecting to a host game, as I don't have any hosts to set up.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jul 02 2012||1.5.5||Yes||Yes||Gold||Jaroslav Smutek|
|Current||Linux Mint 9 "Isadora"||Oct 15 2010||1.3.4||Yes||Yes||Silver||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Feb 04 2008||0.9.54.||Yes||Yes||Silver||an anonymous user|
|Show||openSUSE 10.2 x86_64||Apr 24 2007||0.9.35.||N/A||Yes||Silver||an anonymous user|
|Show||Debian GNU/Linux Unstable "Sid"||Oct 29 2006||0.9.24.||Yes||Yes||Silver||Sixsixfive|