* A full playthrough of the game was tested; it worked.
* Save game import from Mass Effect 1
What does not
* Mouse does not wrap the screen properly (Bug 6971) making it impossible to turn the camera more than about 180 degrees in any given direction. The game is still playable by bringing up the powers menu and re-centering the mouse, but this is annoying.
* All human and asari eyes were pitch black. In addition, several characters (Samara/Mordin, Thane, Aria at Afterlife) and clothing/armors look very very dark. This is a result of the Mac OS X OpenGL stack being not quite complete; this problem does not occur under Linux
* The game will occasionally crash when transitioning between maps. There is no pattern to the crashing that I can determine. I cannot tell if this is a wine bug or a reproduction of broken behavior that exists on Windows.
What was not tested
* No DLC was tested (Cerberus Network seems to work fine though).
Applying a patch to fix bug 6971 bumps the game up to at least Silver status on Mac OS X. For Linux distros the game should be Gold (new test data coming soon). Graphical performance can be improved by disabling glsl and using the d3dx9 winetrick.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Jan 13 2017||2.0-rc4||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Dheart|
|Show||Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" x86_64||Mar 26 2014||1.7.15||Yes||Yes||Platinum||an anonymous user|
|Show||Linux Mint 15 "Olivia"||Aug 25 2013||1.6||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Rafael Fortunatti|
|Show||Linux Mint 13 "Maya" x86_64||Aug 12 2012||1.5.10||Yes||Yes||Silver||an anonymous user|
|Show||Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion"||Jun 24 2012||1.5.7||Yes||Yes||Silver||Mac Porter Joe|
DLC for Mass Effect 2 seems to work okay. You need an EA account & Bioware account. You have to link your bioware account to your EA master account.
When done, you can login to http://social.bioware.com/user_entitlements.phpÂ and download theÂ content manually.
I have tested the Inferno Armor, Blood Dragon Armor,Â Zaeed - The Price of Revenge (Cerberus Network), Normandy Crash Site (Cerberus Network).
Launch the installer in the wineprefix you have Mass Effect 2 installed, the installer will fail (for me) at cleaning up the install. It is safe to kill the install process.
Once you have started Mass Effect 2, login to the Cerberus Network with your EA account and the DLC will be authorised (you may get a warning the first time)
Please purge your previously wine installation before using that HowTo!
For patching and installing wine on Ubuntu:
apt-get build-dep wine
(This wine version is given as an example)
tar xjpf wine-1.5.9.tar.bz2
patch -p1 < raw3.patch
For patching and installing wine on Gentoo:
mkdir -p /etc/portage/patches/app-emulation/wine-1.5.9
wget -O /etc/portage/patches/app-emulation/wine-1.5.9/raw_input.patch 'dl.dropbox.com/u/6901628/raw3.patch'
Thanks to t800 for the tip ;-)