Loading and Playing
- Play/Stop/Seek/FF/REW: OK mostly on all codecs (with some major issue with MP3 codec)
- Viewing File Properties: OK on all codecs
- Copy: OK on all codecs
- Mix with File: If mixing doesn't cause length change, OK on all sample rate
- Reverting Changes: OK on all operation and codecs
- Increase/Decrease volume: OK
- Add Echo: OK
- Reverse: OK
- New Recording (Default Format: PCM), recording to 60sec: OK, save OK
- New Recording (Non PCM Format), recording to 60sec: OK, save OK (on all codecs available for recording, apart from IMA-ADPCM)
- PCM to U-Law, A-Law, GSM 6.10: OK
What does not
- Seeking on MP3 codec
- Launching System Audio Properties: nothing happened (WINE hasn't implemented sound control panel?)
- Paste Insert/Mix: clipboard issue
- Insert File on all sample rate: memory issue
- Mix with File, when it caused length change: memory issue
- Delete Before/After current position on all codecs: partly proceeded, memory issue
- Increase/Decrease speed: partly proceeded, memory issue
- New Recording to <60sec on default format (PCM): memory error displayed and showing length anomailes on playing
- Recording on MP3, MS-ADPCM: not available
- New Recording to <60sec on Non-PCM: memory error displayed, at the end of output repeating last 2.5sec of recording and showing length anomalies on playing (on all codecs available for recording, more issues with IMA-ADPCM)
- New Recording on IMA-ADPCM
- Recording to 60sec: timeline run at 2x fast so only 30s recorded, resulted sound garbled in white noise, on playing, timeline run at 2x fast too (playing saved file in external player giving same result including 2x fast timeline)
- Recording to <60sec: same result, plus repeating-last-2.5sec problem and length anomalies (timeline still 2x fast)
- Continue Recording from New Recording on default format (PCM) on all position (start/end/middle): memory issue
- Continue Recording from File on all codecs, all position: memory issue
- All to PCM (including PCM to PCM sample rate conversion): crashed
- Converting PCM to IMA-ADPCM: resulted in garbled with white noise, audio length largely changed (to near 2x), timeline run strangely fast (around 2x)
- Converting PCM to MP3, MS-ADPCM: nothing happened
*MP3 error issue: when start playing from end, seeking too much or using FF/REW while playing, will resulted in "Another application is playing audio. You can either interrupt the application or wait until it is done. Then try using Sound Recorder again."
and all non-pcm codec rendered unplayable (still loadable and seekable) until close and open Sound Recorder again (other Sound Recorder instances are not affected)
*MP3 syncing issue: when seeked on mp3, audio and timeline will starting to be unsynchronized.
*Memory issue: when the operation changed sound length, it will end up with "Not enough memory available to complete this operation. Quit one or more application to increase available memory, and then try again."
and operation will be aborted (or half-done).
*Clipboard issue: when pasting (not copying) audio data, error appeared: "The file 'Clipboard' is not a valid WAVE sound file."
and wine console says "fixme:ole:render_format Unhandled tymed 20"
*Recording length anomalies: on playing <60s recorded sound, when timeline reached end, it didn't stop, then audio length and current position increased altogether, and ended up near 60s (~59.95s), saving file here will resulted in ~60s file (saving before still get correct duration)
*Repeating 2.5s problem: on recording non-pcm, when pressed STOP, length will increased for 2.5sec, and that additional 2.5sec is a repetition of last 2.5sec before pressing stop.
What was not tested
Continue Recording from New Recording (on Non-PCM format)
Cross-codec conversion (u-Law to a-Law, GSM to ADPCM, etc)
Everything that's not mentioned.
Sound Recorder is a fairly simple program, so I expected it to work without much flaw, but well, it didn't.
Default Playing/Recording format is PCM 22050Hz 16bit Stereo
(Normally on Windows is PCM 44100Hz 16bit Stereo)
Tested codecs in all action: PCM, A-Law, U-Law, IMA-ADPCM, MS-ADPCM, GSM 6.10 (All available in Wine)
All test samples converted by Sound Recorder 5.1.2600.5512 (Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3)
Wine's Windows version: Windows ME
Wine Audio Driver: ALSA 44100Hz 16bit (Full Hardware Acceleration)
Wine installed without GStreamer support.