Starting the game.
Playing Co-op (still wonky to get running, independent on native windows or wine)
Pathing it to 2.4 with SS2Tool_v4.4.exe
Running with mods in /DataPermanentMods/
What does not
There's nothing in this release that did not work.
What was not tested
Playing it to the end under both conditions.
HowTo: Install with "wine SETUP.EXE -lgntforce" Download and patch with SS2Toolv.4.4.exe Extract your favorite mods into /DataPermanentMods/ to create the directories /obj /mesh etc making sure not to create duplicates ex: thistexture.png ThisTexture.png
|Distribution||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Rating||Submitter|
|Current||Arch Linux x86_64||Oct 05 2012||1.5.14||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Manne Dyrver|
|Show||Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Nov 30 2012||1.4||Yes||Yes||Platinum||an anonymous user|
|Show||Fedora 16 x86_64||Dec 14 2011||1.3.29||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Konstantin Boyandin|
|Show||Aptosid x86_64||Jun 04 2012||1.2.3||Yes||Yes||Gold||MassteR|
|Show||Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion"||Sep 14 2011||1.2.3||Yes||Yes||Bronze||an anonymous user|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
Game will be randomly crashed on multicore systems. This is bug of Dark Engine (see bug #9844 for more info).
Launch game via taskset program:
taskset -c 1 wine Shock.exe
The game's installer refuses to install if it detects Windows 2k or later. To work around this, you have two options. First, you can run winecfg and set the Windows version to Windows 98, and then run setup.exe from the CD as normal. Alternatively, you can open a terminal, navigate to the CD drive, and run the installer this way: wine "setup.exe" -lgntforce
Do a full install (Intel codec too), but do not install Direct X.
Install SS2 Tool
SS2 Tool should be the first thing you do after installing the game. It replaces the official patch, and also includes a few other critical bugfixes needed to get System Shock 2 working on modern systems. It also removes the copy protection.For better looking graphics:
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. WineHQ is not responsible for what they say.
- RE: New Unofficial Patch 2.4 by Manne Dyrver on Friday October 5th 2012, 11:09
- RE: Sound fails after opening level starts (recruitment centre) by rexroom on Friday June 24th 2011, 0:44
- RE: Sound fails after opening level starts (recruitment centre) by James Neave on Friday June 24th 2011, 4:35
- RE: Sound fails after opening level starts (recruitment centre) by Michael Curran on Friday July 1st 2011, 8:23
- RE: Sound fails after opening level starts (recruitment centre) by James Neave on Wednesday July 6th 2011, 16:48
- RE: White screen by wmute on Tuesday April 5th 2011, 11:27
- RE: White screen by rexroom on Thursday June 2nd 2011, 17:10
- RE: White screen by James Neave on Thursday June 23rd 2011, 17:31
- RE: White screen - widescreen mod? by wmute on Wednesday January 26th 2011, 13:52
- RE: Intel Cards by Azamat Hackimov on Sunday April 25th 2010, 3:41
- RE: Cutscenes should work by Gavin on Tuesday September 1st 2009, 14:24
- RE: Slow performance caused by Render Target Lock Mode by Gavin on Thursday September 3rd 2009, 8:56
- RE: Slow performance caused by Render Target Lock Mode by Ashboy on Wednesday June 5th 2013, 2:25
- RE: can't get ss2 to start up anymore by Chris on Saturday April 25th 2009, 15:05
- RE: freezing by Dan McCombs on Saturday August 30th 2008, 7:44
- RE: Got Multiplayer to work by Dabljuh on Wednesday June 25th 2008, 17:46
- RE: some issues by Skiski on Monday September 17th 2007, 15:46