Installation and - after applying the workaround - all single player modes.
What does not
- Movies are not playing (gstreamer can not handle bik files - just watch the intro and the 3 ending cinematics (Klingon, Romulan and Federation) on Youtube).
- Upon exiting from the game it freezes sometimes, just CTRL+C it in the terminal.
As far as I investigated: the game seems to have a hard coded Windows-like path searching mechanism (ignoring the first capital character in folder names), that conflicts with Linux systems and this is not compatible with the Wine provided d3dxof.dll file(s). This obviously results in path errors when the game tries to save cache content or load up models and textures into memory. Follow the below steps to install the game properly and to solve this issue.
- Mount up the ST SFC3 CD.
- Install the game without DirectX8 and GameSpy to a 32bit Wine prefix.
- On the mounted CD go to the DirectX directory, open the 'DirectX.cab' file with Archive Manager (or any archiver or unpacker software that is available for your Linux distro and can handle cab files) and copy the 'd3dxof.dll' file to the games main folder.
- Highly recommended: optionally install the v354b patch, the SFC3 Upgrade Mod 3.0 (then the 3.1 patch for it) and one of the HD patches for the SFC3 Upgrade Mod 3.1, so you can play the game in high resolution (in 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio). (A new 3.2 version of the mod has also been released some time ago, but I did not try it yet.)
- Switch Wine to Windows XP mode through winecfg and play the game.
What was not tested
Multiplayer was not tested.
As you directly copy the d3dxof.dll file from the DirectX version that shipped with SFC3, the workaround should work fine on all Wine versions. At this point I played the game for hours without a single crash, but the application sometimes freezes upon exiting from it (not a big deal though).
My specs: Intel Core i5-2400 CPU 3.10GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB DRV: 440.64
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Manjaro Linux||Aug 09 2020||5.8||Yes||Yes||Yes||Silver||N. T. Crotser|
|Current||Fedora 31 x86_64||Apr 10 2020||5.5-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Ashgaroth|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Sep 13 2014||1.7.25||N/A||Yes||Silver||Vic McDonald|
|Show||Gentoo Linux x86_64||Mar 17 2012||1.4||Yes||No||Garbage||Maquis196|
|Show||Gentoo Linux x86_64||Dec 05 2011||1.3.34||Yes||No||Garbage||an anonymous user|