Pretty much everything that works in Windows works under WINE.
- Running a server
- Connecting via the client
I haven't been able to test much gameplay yet, on either windows or Ubuntu.
What does not
Connecting to a server through Firefox does not work because it does not associate the aos:// links with client.exe yet. This can be worked around by either running a web browser under WINE and selecting the server's from there, or a temporary solution to this problem which will be listed below as a how-to.
Hint: It's $wine /path/to/client.exe -aos://servernumber
Servernumber is found from the www.ace-spades.com website server list.
What was not tested
Majority of gameplay has not yet been tested due to issues with the game's server being over-run right now. Will update when further tested.
It is essentially as good as the windows version, but since it requires the firefox association (or other browser) I'll rate it Gold. If you run a web browser under Wine then this is not a problem.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Apr 11 2011||1.3.17||Yes||Yes||Gold||Chris H|
|Current||Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Apr 11 2011||1.3.17||Yes||Yes||Gold||Chris H|
Go to www.ace-spades.com or the download link listed above and download the installer.
Double-clicking on the installer should just run it. If not, try right clicking and select "open with Wine" or "open with Wine Windows Program Loader".
Let the installer run, it should just do everything automatically for you.
RUNNING THE GAME:
Mac (or non-Gnome Linux):
Launch the program via command line:
For Linux, open a terminal and type everything after the $ symbol:
$ wine '/home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Ace of Spades/client.exe' -aos://#######
For Mac, open a terminal and type everything after the $ symbol:
$ wine '/Users/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Ace of Spades/client.exe' -aos://#######
Replace USERNAME with your username and ###### with the server number you want to join. The server number can be found on www.ace-spades.com by right clicking on a server name and choosing "Copy Link Location" (http://iammorthor.com/aos/ shows you the number directly). This can be pasted to replace the entire aos://##### argument.
Alternatively you may install a Windows web browser through WINE, then you can launch the game like normal by going to www.ace-spades.com or http://iammorthor.com/aos/ (I like this one better) and clicking on the name of the server you would like to join.
Linux (Ubuntu and other distributions that use Gnome only):
A much more direct method comes from liam uk (Thanks Liam!). If you have problems with this method for any reason, you can still use the old method listed above under Mac / non-Gnome Linux:
Simply enter the following three commands in a terminal pressing enter after each one (don't include the $ symbol, and replace USERNAME with your username).
$ gconftool-2 --set --type=string /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/aos/command 'wine "/home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Ace of Spades/client.exe" -"%s"'
$ gconftool-2 --set --type=boolean /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/aos/enabled true
$ gconftool-2 --set --type=boolean /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/aos/needs_terminal false
Then you can launch the game like normal by going to www.ace-spades.com or http://iammorthor.com/aos/ (I like this one better) and clicking on the name of the server you would like to join.
- Try changing the hardware acceleration in the wine config audio tab to "Emulation" ( -Josh)
- If for whatever reason that doesn't work, some people have gotten sound working by disabling Pulse Audio or using a version of Wine with Pulse Audio support (See Bug #26775 for details) (-Nils)
Both these fixes have NOT yet been tested by me (final exams) will update here as soon as I have personally tested them and will add new test data :)
HOSTING A SERVER:
The Ace of Spades server can be a little touchy, however several users have reported running servers under WINE with no special configuration needed. The following explanation is just a general guide, and is not really WINE specific, I just thought it would be helpful for those confused about hosting a server in general.
To run a server, you first need to forward your UDP port 32887.This can be notoriously confusing if you have never done this before, but is really not that complex. http://portforward.com/ might be of use to you. If you don't find your router listed:
My Horrible Port Forwarding Blind Guide
- try opening 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1 in your web browser and seeing if that connects you to the router (you might be asked for login information, just google for your routers default password if you don't know it).
- Navigate around for a panel or tab that sounds like "Port Forwarding", "Application Settings", "Application and Games", or something that sounds similar.
- Enter the port to be forwarded and the setting (in this case, port number 32887 and UDP as the setting). Then add the LOCAL ip address of the computer you are hosting the server on.
- If it asks for "local" and "external" ports, just enter 32887 for both values.
- If you don't know your computers local ip address, open a terminal and type "ifconfig". the local address should look like "inet addr: 192.168.x.x", just input the numbers.
- Once thats done, click "Save Settings" or "Apply Settings".
End Horrible Blind Guide
Now to actually run the server:
- Navigate to your Ace of Spades install folder and launch "server.exe"
- When prompted, enter the number of players you want to allow (more is usually better) and the name of the server.
- It should tell you that the server is running and instruct you to wait a few minutes before trying to connect.
- Once this is all done, just follow the steps above to "Run the Game" and join your server. People will most likely not join your server unless at least one person is in it, so join for a bit so people know that the server is running.
Well, I'm happy to announce that I am now a super maintainer, 'Yay' Anyway, Ace of Spades is getting quite boring because of the hacking and the aim bot, of course this issue will be sorted soon enough and I'm trying to get myself into help developing the game 'Ace of Spades' please don't use hacks, if you want to hack, play CoD or Battlefield 3.
Thanks for reading this Note, Game On!